Crispy Squirrel

:( Head gasket gone. Sell for parts or fix ? need help please

Yeah sorry mate, if you were taking the engine out totally, obviously a crane would be ideal. No need though if your gonna just replace the gasket though. You won't need the multi spline bits for the clutch if your not doing that, but will need the multi spline sockets for the head bolts. May as well change the Cam belt and tensioner as you'll need to take it off as well anyway.

Sell it and buy a VR! You WILL end up spending a lot of money and TIME on your valver only to wish you had bought a tidy VR to start with......

Sorry but only calling it as I see it

Sell it and buy a VR! You WILL end up spending a lot of money and TIME on your valver only to wish you had bought a tidy VR to start with......

Well this can be my mechanics training wheels!!

Sorry, but I disagree. Had my valver (KR) for over 12 years and have had minimal trouble with it. As with any car a bit of preventive maintenance works wonders. Any Corrado is an old car now and things will go wrong. In fact, due to the KR being less reliant on electical engine management it is probably less prone to problems than later examples, no MAF, an ignition module rather than an ECU.

Prepares to be shot down in muti coloured pretty little flames.

Quite happy to be proved wrong, but I would be interested to see a list of costs to get it back on the road and in good daily working order.

I will then show you the link to the C5 OEM advert ;)

Whatever you do though enjoy the process

Matt :)

Sorry, but I disagree. Had my valver (KR) for over 12 years and have had minimal trouble with it. As with any car a bit of preventive maintenance works wonders. Any Corrado is an old car now and things will go wrong. In fact, due to the KR being less reliant on electical engine management it is probably less prone to problems than later examples, no MAF, an ignition module rather than an ECU.

Prepares to be shot down in muti coloured pretty little flames.

Think he meant that particular valver though didnt he, given the problems it has.

Quite happy to be proved wrong, but I would be interested to see a list of costs to get it back on the road and in good daily working order.

I will then show you the link to the C5 OEM advert ;)

Whatever you do though enjoy the process

Matt :)

Yeah, but using that approach would mean pretty much every corrado would have been crushed in favour of a newer car by now.

Not wanting to get into a 'which corrado is best' argument again, but a 16v is very cheap to run given the commonality of parts with the mk2 golf, in comparison tot a up a common bill for aux water pump, engine position sensors, coil pack etc on a vr, not to mention your bill for replacing the timing chains and guides. Pretty much everything is more expensive for a vr from the tyres up.

Yeah, but using that approach would mean pretty much every corrado would have been crushed in favour of a newer car by now.

Not wanting to get into a 'which corrado is best' argument again, but a 16v is very cheap to run given the commonality of parts with the mk2 golf, in comparison tot a up a common bill for aux water pump, engine position sensors, coil pack etc on a vr, not to mention your bill for replacing the timing chains and guides. Pretty much everything is more expensive for a vr from the tyres up.

Certainly not having a pop at the valver, but Mr Squirrel did state at the beginning of all this that he would like a VR. All Im saying is Corrados cost big money to put right and get up to scratch so he may as well start with a good base in the model that he really wants.

And by doing a bit of work on a Valver, enhances confidence in carrying out work yourself, thus reducing Garage bills when the time comes to get a VR, making it that bit cheaper for what is a more expensive car to maintain!

Leonard and shaun. You are both right. I want a VR- But not yet, sean is right, i need this to be my training wheels on opening up my first rado! + my insurance will be a bitch on a VR + tax must be mega considering mine is hefty on a 2.0 !

Don't worry. I'll join the VR crew one day !

Working on cars is all about confidence, sounds like a plan to me........

yep, I like to be confident I have enough axle stands under it before I crawl underneath...

otherwise I rarely know exactly what I'm doing until I break something and then realise what I should have done :)

but if you don't make mistakes then I guess you're not stretching yourself far enough, and there's always the forum to ask, before or after the event.