bmwcompact

Throttle cable

Simple question: 2l 16v should the hooked end of the cable at the pedal be held in place by a clip? Theres no clip on mine and the pedal and cable parted company this morning. It could have been dangerous, fortunately I was only going slow and I was less than a mile from home. If theres a clip has anyone got one cos Im sure theyll be obsolete-failing that a photo-otherwise I think Ill be bodging something.

Edited by bmwcompact

Don't think so, but not 100%. Pretty sure they just slot in though. Could be that your throttle cable is binding on the outer sleeve and not releasing properly, so there's slack when your up and down on the peddle causing it to fall out the slot. Have you noticed any problems with it holding revs a little too long?

Cables free to slide , no binding, just looks as though the rubber bush in the pedal arm isnt capable of retaining the hook anymore!!

Update: there is no clip but the rubber bush in the pedal arm should hold the cable hook. Bush part no 431 721 559 not available at present (3 weeks from VW Heritage) but costs about £10. Thats for the bush not a new cable, 'lol' is what I think you youngsters say on such occasions.

Edited by bmwcompact
Info on part no

Update: there is no clip but the rubber bush in the pedal arm should hold the cable hook. Bush part no 431 721 559 not available at present (3 weeks from VW Heritage) but costs about £10.

There's a guy selling them on Ebay £2.50 plus postage 69p so thats where Ive gone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-ACCELERATOR-PEDAL-BUSH-RUBBER-VW-GOLF-VW-T4-TRANSPORTER-ETC-NEW-/120881107123?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c251350b3

Edited by bmwcompact
link to ebay

Update: there is no clip but the rubber bush in the pedal arm should hold the cable hook. Bush part no 431 721 559 not available at present (3 weeks from VW Heritage) but costs about £10.

There's a guy selling them on Ebay £2.50 plus postage 69p so thats where Ive gone.

Put a link up so to help people out in the future fella

• Like 1

Worth noting that GSF sell these rubber bushes for a couple of pennies too!

My old Rocco had a bush that was made of foam and disintegrated when I was doing 70 on a dual carriageway!....Had to limp off the road using only the old manual choke as a way of getting any power!

• Like 1

jon,sorry for the confusion mate. i am after the bush as have sourced a cable,thanks.

dec,thanks mate.never even thought of GSF.will try them tomorrow.

thanks lads:thumbleft: