Sign in to follow this  
Dilated

Urgent Advice needed!

Right, i'm under the car at the moment (not right now obviously!) and I have found the leak from my power steering rack. From whaty I can see, it's coming from the centre of the rack, where it looks like there is a join. My question is this - rather than take off the rack and go through all the faff of sorting it out properly with new seals etc, can anyone reccomend any substance that i could basically plug up the little hole with? I was thinking of maybe using a bit of exhaust paste and heating it up, but i'm unsure as to whether the oil will penetrate this straight away or not. Anyone got any other ideas?

I think it's on the join, so would be awkward to bind up with some metal or even weld, so some sort of hardening paste would be good.

Cheers

bear in mind too that if any bit of grit or foreign material wont exactly do your rack insides any good :shock: so might be as well to bite the bullet and do the seals/rack/etc rather than try a heath-robinson repair

Yea I know I should go the whole hog, but to be honest - I'd rather bodge it for the time being until I have enough funds to get the whole rack replaced. I have a spare rack I bought off ebay, but I#m not confident enough to change the whole thing over as I understand you have to set up the steering again etc.

I was thinking about using a little epoxy resin to block up the TINY crack in the seal for the time being. Might give it a try, see if it holds up for a cou[ple of weeks or so!

The oil will be leaking out under pressure, so no amount gunk on top of the offending crack will stop it I'm afraid.

Best to just keep topping up the fluid until you replace the rack.

the fitters where i work swaer by this liquid metal stuff,cant remember what it called and they bodge everything with the stuff,even pumps under pressure

Yeah i think I know the stuff you are on about - prolly got some in the garage buried away somewhere!

I have used some quick dry epoxy resin for the time being, should be hard now - going out for a drive in a bit so will let you know if it leaks or not. I am expecting it to still leak to be honest, because, like kev says its only pissing out under pressure.

I'll let you guys know if it works or not!

Chris

It's called J B Weld... Also known as Liquid Metal... it's excellent stuff and may actually sort this crack for you if you can get it clean enough and give it enough time to cure... :)