P3rks

VR6 Flywheel - Lighter?

I've spent the past few hours stripping a 2.8 VR6 engine down which came from a 1997 MK3 Golf. As I removed the gearbox I noticed the flywheel 'looked' worked. I've removed it and placed it next to a spare one I had.

5ea09994.jpg

a9091d84.jpg

The one just removed looks noticeably thinner and weights approximately 1kg less (on the bathroom scales :o) than the spare I had.. Both have the part number: 021 105 273 H. The only difference in markings on the rear is that the lighter one says 'F&S 1' and the heavier says 'F&S 4'.

16abeeae.jpg

It's not had enough weight stripped off to have been intentionally lightened (well in my opinion anyway) and I was under the impression all 12v VR6 flywheels were the same? Maybe it's been skimmed due to warping in the past? Can anyone shed some light on this?

On a lightened flywheel note, I was actually going to get one of these lightened anyway, can anyone advise on the weight I should be aiming for?

Interesting! Well the stock one (and indeed all Golf / Corrado VR6 flywheels) is 18lb.

I had a 9lb Schimmel one in mine and that felt spot on. Noticable throttle response improvement and no apparent drawbacks.