Tigerfish

Expected price to change rear wheel bearing?

My VR failed its MOT today on a rear wheel bearing. I already have new bearings/discs/pads/abs rings. Anybody got a good idea what ballpark the labour cost to change a bearing should be? As all the other bits would have to come off to do it, there shouldn't be any additional cost to put the new replacement bits on at the same time.i assume?

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldnt cost much mate, maybe an hour and half labour- assuming they dont have issues getting the carrier bolts out, which is possible. But thats the really only sticking point, once the carriers are off its plain sailing.

It maybe wise to get some new carrier bolts just in case.

I might be talking nonsense, but can't you just tighten a rear wheel bearing?

for my mot I took the the cap off the centre of the rear hub, undid a split pin, adjusted the nut slightly (not too tight) and put everything back together.

hopefully one of the veterans will drop by to clarify :)

Edited by dingo

They usually charge 1h each side but it can be done in about 40 minutes both sides if calipers bolts come off no problem.

You can take a wheel off, take a cup off from axle, the metal usually "gold" colour half ball cap, take a pin off, take protecting "nut" off and tighten main nut a little bit, not to tight, usually less than 1/4 full turn, put everything together and check if wheel doesn't wobble.

Being there you can change everything yourself it's very easy job.

Yarp,the tapered bearings in the rear are supposed to be a little loose, to allow for the expansion of the metal when it gets hot. Trust me I know, as I did them up too tight, shredded the bearing, and shredded a stub axle in the process!