Jim Bowen

Quick advice on dodgy wheelhub?

Really a bit angry at the moment, gone to fit my driveshaft to my brand new hub and it wouldn't fit, did the other side and it just slid on easily.

Thought i'd recheck the new one and noticed the splines seem flattened off inside, which is the exact point the cv joint stops going in.

Am i meant to force it through? can't see that being right and refuse to hit it with a hammer incase i damage the hub.

Tried to photo it.

2012-08-15191304.jpg

2012-08-15191411.jpg

2012-08-15191256.jpg

2012-08-15191434.jpg

What i really need to know asap is:

A) is it meant to be like that? unlikely imo

B) Could it of been done by the garage who pressed bearings in?

C) Could it of been like that new from VW?

Going to go back to garage who fitted them and see what they say, then i will go to VW garage. Thing is, its a brand new bearing as well, so that needs to be destroyed to remove iirc

Can see this all coming out of my pocket tbh

---------- Post added at 7:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:23 PM ----------

I 100% haven't done it as its from the wheel side, i.e: CV spline goes in ok, then stops at the point the splines change.

I don't really know how they press in the bearings and if there's any risk of them damaging it like that during the process

Edited by Jim Bowen
Fixing broken photo links

Is there any sign of anything being forced in there? Or hammered out? If not it may be a machining issue? The hub would press in from that side but it would take some force to flatten the splines I imagine.

No there isn't any marks on it at all.

Am starting to think it came like this from VW, i think if the garage did it, it must of been pretty hard to get something into the hole and back out again without marking it elsewhere.

Am driving over to VW at lunch time to see what they say, i hope they take it off me and fit all new bits and give it back free of charge, but its a big hope :lol:

Just got back from VW, was 3 of them looking at it and came to the conculsion its whoever pressed the bearing in that has done it :( They have used the wrong press.

Vw took the whole hub assembly off me and are going to see what they can do with it, waiting for their call. Which is good of them. I was all prepared to just fork out and buy a new bearing and hub, i asked 3 times to order one but they talked me out of it :lol:

Edited by Jim Bowen

Still not got this sorted

VW are now saying its meant to be like that, and to whack it on with a hammer?

Chap said he looked at after one and it was the same

That's odd. Perhaps it's something wrong with the driveshaft then? I know I destroyed the thread on an outer CV joint that I swapped once by whacking it back on the shaft with a hammer.

Getting hammer out tomorrow. Feel a bit bad I thought it was the garage I use. But I never bought a new hub before.

Going to have to pop in and apologize now. Haha.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

I just went to have a look at a second hand pair of vr6 spare hub I have in the garage the ridges look uniform all the way through for both of them.

Cant the VW dealership order another one just to show you if its suppose to be like that so that you can see it with your own eyes or pop over to a TPS near you and ask for a second opinion. TPS may even have one in stock for you to compare ?

Edited by VWVW

When I went back they had got another one there, bnib and was exactly the same.

My old ones aren't like it, but the workshop guy reckons they come like that.

Can see me hammering the old cv in with everything off the car, and it getting stuck in there.

So confused about it all, but can only try what vw said to do.

Old VW in a VW garage? Are you having a larf? No chance. :)

My VW garage doesn't even have new stuff! We'll get it ordered in for you sir, it should be here next year. Naw, I meant garage on side of house, shed, hut type of thing.

you sure your driveshaft isn't to blame? perhaps someone put a pattern outer CV joint on it and it doesn't fit so well.... any pics?

Nah, driveshaft (Outer cv) is fine, i just got a new one each side from VW and they have the same problem, its 100% the hub.

Tried hammering it on, and its pushed the hub out the bearing a little bit, so now hub is wobbly.

Back to vw again tomorrow. Really confused with this, looked at the old original one and quite sure I can see similar marks.

Wonder if they press them together then seperate them to fit bearings?

Well been to two indepedant garages and also spoke to VW headquarters about it. Seems no one really knows why its like this and why the other side isn't.

Also found out the old hub that i struggled to get off is the same inside and thats the original 17yr old one. It has the flat splines part way in and now it all makes sense why my front wheel used to get stuck on hub, which started after a wheel bearing change, looks like its been hit with a hammer, so this problem has obviously happened in the past.

All i can do now is locate it the little bit it goes on then try and pull it through with hubnut. Stopped caring about it being easy to get off, i'll worry about that in the future.

Will be interesting to see if this ever crops up in the future on here? I hope someone else has the same problem, not me being mean, but i feel unlucky and baffled.

Ah interesting as one of my hubs is slightly hard to get the wheel on and off as years ago I had an inner CV replaced and he said it was a pain to get the hub in hence slightly burring the conical section on the hub itself and after having new bearings recently pressed in this mechanic who is a vag man and works at my local skoda garage also said it was a pain to get one side in and he has all the gear at the workshop too so it must be the same for all hubs. But why only one side as you say? strange as the other almots pushed in by hand he said and only needed a slight press in.

Its doing my head in now. Just got the old cv and old hub (no bearing) and tried fitting them back together and i had to really smack the crap out of it with a big hammer to get it in and it still didn't go all the way in.

Can only try fitting the new stuff and tightening it all up with the hub nut and hope that pulls it through, but i went mental with the hammer and can't see my with a socket creating enough force.

Got the dremel out and sorted the splines out myself, Goes on lovely now, just a few gentle taps and it comes on and off like the other side does. What a palarva this has been. :lol:

Found this dremel bit was a perfect fit

2012-08-22143907.jpg

Ran it up and down every spline a few times

2012-08-22144000.jpg

Fixed

2012-08-22143834.jpg

Edited by Jim Bowen
Fixing Broken photo links