petemcr

Climatronic conversion

So, I found out my mate was breaking a V5 Bora and asked him if he had the climatronic unit in it still, so I managed to salvage the bits I needed.

Heater Box

Heater box wiring loom

Dash wiring loom (I asked for the climatronic section, but instead he lobbed the whole loom off)

Couple of sensors but I don't think I will be using them.

He didn't have the air con system which is a bit of a bummer, but I'm putting it in with just the basics, but I thought I would take some pics a long the way for anyone looking to do this conversion.

Big thanks to Jay (24v Renshaw) for his advice, once he told me what I needed to do I was confident in getting going so I started today.

So I started to strip my dash, I'd done this before on my past Corrado doing the heater matrix so I just delved right in, I won't bore with the details as Corrado Canada have a really good write up on this.

524420_10152024495725433_618552728_n.jpg

Dash completely removed and heater core exposed

480096_10152024495970433_691557141_n.jpg

Old air con wiring, the original setup is in a proper state and not really worth salvaging so I'm going to wait till I find a system of a MK4

292460_10152024695865433_81486738_a.jpg

Heater core removed

547138_10152024695580433_282912413_n.jpg

Jay told me when I got the two boxes side by side you'd see how similar they are and he wasn't wrong, heater matrix dropped straight in, just has one additional bolt to drill out to get it to sit right. Because I've had air con on my car the glovebox/undertray have already been cut back which saves me a job.

547137_10152024696095433_1407160085_n.jpg

Corrado heater matrix in and good to go

423553_10152024696390433_2057476387_n.jpg

That's me so far, done quite a bit so far, hopefully weather will be good tomorrow so I can get it put in, tested and start throwing it all back together. More pics to follow

Good man, as I said on the phone anything you need to know just ask.

I am around all weekend so if you need me to pop over to help with anything let me know

Jay

Thanks Jay, I will see how I get on today with getting it all bolted up... if the weather quits that is lol

Loads more done today after a pretty crap day yesterday, drilled out the wholes for the heater box and got it bolted up and wired it all in

Fitted and in place

578763_10152031213480433_1869576435_n.jpg

nice and snug

551953_10152031213650433_291674574_n.jpg

working and illuminated up

224767_10152031222980433_336919490_n.jpg

Now just to fit all the vents and fit the dash, away seeing family tomorrow so problem going to wait till Monday but it's all working, just the recirculation motor is faulty but I'm not too arsed at the moment

Have same set up, everything from mk4 golf and don't have time to do it :( |Is the wiring difficult ??

It depends how much function you want, Jay pointed out most of the wires on the loom are diagnostics and some air con, if you're like me and you just wanted it basic with no air con... fan live/ignition live/two earths and illumination and it works. You don't even have to wire in the outside temp sensor if you don't have it, it will just take it from the cold air vent.

If you know your way around removing the dash and you're a dab hand at fitting and have the tools, you could have it in a two days I reckon.

Dash going back in, fitted the Corrado centre vent to the MK4 air box and all the vents surprisingly fit really well, just the middle ones need shaving back a bit

419790_10152033675040433_352489217_n.jpg

Looks like my one will be more complicated as I want full climatronic function in a car.

always wanted to do this, looking forward to final pics

It's all in and everything now, I will post up some pics tomorrow, just need to find a way to make the controls look a little more stock.

Looks like my one will be more complicated as I want full climatronic function in a car.

Even all the diagnostics stuff? I really didn't like the idea of cutting in to ECU wires if I'm honest, I don't think getting the air con working on it will be much harder as I plan to do it in the future.

Just got to bite the bullet and start cracking, from the look of your signature it would be a nice addition to your mod list

I'm not bother about diagnostic and connecting to ecu, just want full climatronic functions.

Good work mate.

Check out my thread on my dash conversion and mk4 airbox install. It might be good to have a flick through for comparisons.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?66329-The-MK4-Golf-Bora-Dash-Conversion

Cheers pal, I'm gonna have to have a proper look through your thread, my mate offered me the dash out of the Bora as well but I said no, so it would be good to see how hard it would have been to fit, see if I saved myself a nightmare of a job lol

I'm not bother about diagnostic and connecting to ecu, just want full climatronic functions.

It shouldn't be much harder than my install then, just need to cut out a whole in the firewall for the air con pipes and wire in a few more wires, if you have all the air con gubbins that is and you can stand having your car off the road for a bit.

Liking the look of that, fits the console better than mine! How do you find having a fan that actually blows rather than wafting a little bit of air in the general direction you ask for???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69064[/ATTACH]

Liking the look of that, fits the console better than mine! How do you find having a fan that actually blows rather than wafting a little bit of air in the general direction you ask for???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69064[/ATTACH]

hahaha, it's nicer than having air pretty much coughed out of the vents at you, tones nicer being able to have cold air as well, not just hot air all the time.

is that a MK3 Golf climatronic unit from the Highline? I still need to find a way of making the cover fit and change my CD player for one that sits in flush.

hahaha, it's nicer than having air pretty much coughed out of the vents at you, tones nicer being able to have cold air as well, not just hot air all the time.

is that a MK3 Golf climatronic unit from the Highline? I still need to find a way of making the cover fit and change my CD player for one that sits in flush.

Mine's from a 96 Passat, controls, heat exchanger, compressor, pipework and everything.....been fitted five or six years now. Part way through fitting a Mk4 Golf condenser at the moment as it's about half the size of the one that came out of the Passat!

Mine's from a 96 Passat, controls, heat exchanger, compressor, pipework and everything.....been fitted five or six years now. Part way through fitting a Mk4 Golf condenser at the moment as it's about half the size of the one that came out of the Passat!

Brilliant, I read on here that the Passat climatronics were the way to go as they're nice to fit. Mine still has some of the bits for air con but I'm not 100% on what's missing, once I know and source some parts I'm going to consider putting it in. One of them, thought it's coming up to winter now so not point in rushing about to get the air con working, then I heard we're due another heat wave soon and I'm now thinking it would be nice to have it in.

So are MK4 condenser a good fit then? I think that's the main part that's missing from mine

So are MK4 condenser a good fit then? I think that's the main part that's missing from mine

It's not a bad fit, I've managed to get it inside a slam panel without chopping any lumps out........my old slam panel had various pieces missing! I had to bend one of the pipes a bit to get it around the rad but not too much so happier with that, I just need to get the hoses modified now as the fittings are different, hoping that Pirtek can solve that one!

Integrating the diagnostics is easy if you have the OBDII style port on later Corrados. Just tap into the line into the diagnostic port. These could be useful as I noticed on mine that the heater flap opens far too much on lower temps, so it makes the car too warm. You can use Vagcom to reset the system and to manually adjust the flap settings.

The connection into the ECU are quite easy too iirc - there are connectors on the back of the fusebox which you tap into. The main function of these is to raise the engine revs when the aircon is activated.

The climatronic panel surround fitted perfectly on mine and looks really really neat.

IMAG0306.jpg

The climatronic panel surround fitted perfectly on mine and looks really really neat.

That looks spot on, I'm gonna ask my mate for the surround tonight from the Bora, it's the walnut effect style but it will do till I can get one of eBay. I've got the early VR so I'm on OBD1 but I left all the Climatronic loom in there so it's always an option if I ever converted to OBD2, did you use the Kuftec loom? or made your own from the original loom?

I've just found these which I'm thinking of getting and changing all my switches to red and film on the trip computer, get it all matching

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat-35i-Corrado-T4-plasma-glow-dials-260-KMH-DG-/220448600958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3353c2b37e#ht_3035wt_1139

Edited by petemcr

I had the entire MK4 loom, so I stole all the relevant wiring off that, including the climatronic plugs on the car loom side, wiring into the clocks (actually I tapped into the speed sensor wire going into the radio on the Corrado), most of the aircon wiring, including the bits to the fan controller, and also the wiring for the outside temp sensor. As a little bonus, the outside temp sensor was on the loom as well :-)

Making the loom was quite straight forward to be honest - I just soldered into the existing loom where I needed to and got some heatshrink stuff over it to neaten it up. I also took the opportunity to wrap the whole dash loom in that cloth loom wrap and the dash is almost silent now. The most difficult bit was probably working out where all the wires went - Tony was a great help for that.

The dials look good in the link.. I might go the other way and change the climatronic unit to match the rest of the dash. iirc the Octavia MK1 Climatronic panel has a green display?

Jay told me the same thing with the Octavia climatroni and they should be interchangeable, would be ideal so you could keep the original green theme. Can the filter over the climatronic digital display be changed do you know? I'd like to change it to white/black then get some DDI clocks, get some red/white colouring going on.

Question, when you fitted the climatronic display, did you fit it in front of the centre console holes or behind them? if you know what I mean, mines fitted in front of them and I think it is sat too far forward, getting the cover tonight, try and make it look a bit more stock