scott1980

GTX or MAGNATEC ?

Its about time i treated her to an oil change , halfords have got magnatec (4 litres) on offer for £18 . I was advised by the previous owner that castrol GTX was her preferred tipple , should i save myself a few quid and get the magnatec ?

I've used magnatec before, no issues with tappets or noisy valvetrain from it, seems like a perfectly good quality oil, is it 10/40?

Might help if you advise what the engine is for more specific advice, but Magnatec is pretty good stuff, even though there is no need for it to 'cling' to con rods :lol:

tbh I'd use any 10/40 semi synthetic in a 16v, whatever you put in they are going to burn a bit of it, recently I've used quantum silver (on offer at a show) and FUCHS stuff from GSF, even ASDA's own 10/40 semi, it all meets the manufacturers specs for those engines and was all around 10-16 quid for 4 or 5 litres.

Thanks , never even considered supermarkets "own" brand , probably made by leading manufacturers anyway eh ( like tesco's value weetabix ) !! :grin:

Sound , that ! just been to get an oil filter from a local supplier (BBC Autofactors) .. I got the filter for £3.20 (FRAM) but the oil was quoted at £26 !!

To be honest it'll be the first time i've changed the oil it's just done over 132k and i've only done 600 miles of that , I assured the previous owner i'd look after it hence why i'm being a bit anal about the oil ! :geek: