Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Leather seats vs cloth seats

In my quest to find the perfect C, I really like the leather seats, but the cars seem to be hard to find and the ones I do find have super shiny leather.

I'm thinking at the moment, it might be an idea to get one with cloth seats and re-trim them in nice new leather. It looks like it costs around £700 for a re-trim plus door cards, but it'll be brand new leather that will last a long time :D

Is there any difference between the actual cloth and leather seats? (other then the stuff covering them!) I know the leather ones are Recaros, so does that mean the cloth ones aren't?

Thanks guys

You get:

Standard cloth

Standard leather

Heated leather

Recaro Cloth

Recaro leather - heated and electic adjustment

The recaro's don't seem to hold you as tightly as the standard seats though. They are comfy though :)

Keep hunting round for a second hand set, but bare in mind the cost of re-trimming yours with new leather and don't pay over the odds.

ahh it all becomes clear now :D

Thanks... I'm itching to get a C, the more time I spend on here the more the money is burning a hole in my pocket...

You can also get half-leather on German models, which has the advantage that it wears better than cloth and you don't stick to it in warm weather.

If you're going for full leather, make sure you also get aircon if you plan to drive it during the summer...

Keep hunting round for a second hand set, but bare in mind the cost of re-trimming yours with new leather and don't pay over the odds.

How much is over the odds?

I want to get the seats, doorcards and rear panels re-trimmed in cream leather.

Only place iv heard of is MJs and been told its in the region of 1.5G-2.5G

I would say that the quote of 1.5 to 2.5k is a little steep.

I think if I was looking at a re-trim, I'd be budgeting around £1k.

Get some from Germany perhaps, if you can find someone willing to ship to the UK?

got 2 brand new audi TT front seats in grey leather that have been remanufactured to fit all corrados NAPA LEATHER never been farted on! :p

After trying both, I can honestly say I don't like leather, and I'll never have it again. far too slippy, cold inthe winter, hot inthe sumer, and wears out too quick, marks easily and take too long to clean.

I'm in agreement there. But it does look better than cloth though I have to admit. I certainly wouldn't pay these sorts of sums for leather and especially not from MJS. If a good set comes up for sensible money, then I might indulge, otherwise the cloth is fine.

I am going half leather electric recaro's from germany, getting them for about 500 pounds delivered to Ireland

I have tried full leather, but it does have temprature issues, freezing or roasting!

But the main reason i dint want full leather is because you lide around too much in it!

Some of our cars are being used to drive "enthusiasticly" so full leather is not the best for that.

Ebay and look for dealers in Germany.

Ebay prices can sometime shoot up to crazy amounts at the end, so a dealer is better, they are usually able to arrange some cheap freight too.

MJ's stuff is top class, it looks factory, so thats why i am going to get factory stuff its cheaper!

""I'm in agreement there. But it does look better than cloth though I have to admit. I certainly wouldn't pay these sorts of sums for leather and especially not from MJS. If a good set comes up for sensible money, then I might indulge, otherwise the cloth is fine.""

Totaly with you on that one...... :D

Arrrr unless you go to ann summers with the g friend...

I have a friend who has an upholstery company. He said that he would re-trim all my seats for free :lol: ... all I have to do is leave him out the seats & leather.

I was toying with the idea of getting a hide of Connolly leather in a dark grey colour, almost charcoal (even got the samples sent to me). I too like the look of leather but, my last 16v Corrado had leather which I didn't like... it was very hard & shiney. Then I wasn't sure about getting either a full re-trim or half leather :?

So as yet I'm no further on... what would you do??

Whats alcantra & where can I get it?

Not keen on Alcantara, it can look worn out (when it isn't) and flat in places due to the nature of the material.

Typical example of that is the middle section of the Momo Champion wheel, which after a few months goes matt and flat.

The best leather imo is the very soft stuff with pin holes in it (ala Renault 19 16V) so it breathes. I don't really like the hard shiney leather you get in VWs of the Corrado era.

K

the half leather i am getting is the best of both worlds, i think!

I hate the sticky t shirt of hot days!

here is a pic