Rinse

Will 4Motion Tensioner Fit a VR6? Update... Answer: NO!

Hi Guys, I've searched but i've only found an answer for a vr6 tensioner on a 4motion.

Am I going to be able to run a 4 motion tensioner on my VR6? They're the same part number but the 4Motion one has A at the end of it. Surely its just the same part but changed slightly?

The tensioner thats on mine has snapped at the part where you release the tension so I was given a 4mo tensioner last night. Also whats the safest way to remove the old one if I can't release tension through the bolt hole?

Cheers

Edited by Rinse

4 Mo uses a 6 rib belt, VR6 uses a 7 rib. I guess that's the major difference. The minor difference will be the specific tension applied to the belt, which may be more or less than the 12V. I can't say for sure. If you can unbolt the pulley from the from 12V tensioner and attach it to 4 motion tensioner, that ought to work.

Safest way to remove the 12V tensioner without releasing the tension first? Hmmm, you could try undoing the 2 forward most bolts, then the rear one last and let it hinge down. If that doesn't release enough tension, I would just cut the belt personally. Not worth risking something twanging into your face!

Ah, that will be the difference then, I'll crack off the pully and hopefully they will swap over.

Yep I was considering just taking a stanley to it and hiding behind the wing haha. Will give this a blast tonight and hopefully it won't be too much of a headache.

on the 4mo tensioner to release the tension you use a spanner at the pully end and lift up and at the same time remove the belt, im sure this method can be used on the 12v tensioner but never tryed it,

on the 4mo tensioner to release the tension you use a spanner at the pully end and lift up and at the same time remove the belt, im sure this method can be used on the 12v tensioner but never tryed it,

This.

As its a revese thread you can pull the spanner towards you with one hand and remove the belt with the other. A bit awkward as obviously when you release the tension, you also close the gap between the pulley and the tensioner itself. Just stock up with patience and bad language!

Just stock up with patience and bad language!

Trust me I have alot of bad language. haha.

Cool I'll give this a shot before I take a stanley to it or pull out the 3 bolts.

sorry - you have to PUSH the pulley bolt not PULL, as jamie mentions above it is a reverse thread. Pulling will loosen it!

Ah yes! This will work for getting the new belt on! Cheers guys. Just gotta have my dinner and i'll fire it over. Cheers!

---------- Post added at 9:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:35 PM ----------

Sooo.... Update.

It will fit. but since the VR6 has a smaller sized pulley the tensioner tops out before the belt is fully tightened. If you were to run this you need a shorter belt.

Its tightish but theres a bit of slack.. Will this be safe to drive. just with a bit of squealing from the power steering? - Just I need to drive home tomorrow (to inverness 100 miles there and back...)

just thought, i have a next to brand new tensioner on my engine {few months old} that im willing to sell as i recently done an engine conversion so no longer needed , if you want pics i can remove it tomo and post them up here so you can have a butchers , £48 delivered , think it cost me £80

for an extra £15 you can have the non aircon belt {conti}aswell which is also not very old.

Edited by VW_OwneR_85