nickeboy

Insurance company crooks

My 92VR6 was hit in the rear wheel arch/wheel while parked and the insurance have declared it a write off. obviously the insurance company of the 3rd party offered a pittance £250 followed by £1295 for the car as it is deemed a insurance right of (bodywork alone £1800 for insurance repair) i would expect the car to fetch between 2300-2800, couple of minor scratches cracked fog light but other wise in good condition with 160.000 miles. any one had experience with the insurers? they seen a law to themselfs, I have posted similar adds with values of very good condition cars ranging between 3500-4500 for them to deduct from for my cars condition.

I would say they were using the glass guide for there figures which i believe are around £1000, but in fact hey have based it on a Corrado they found priced at 2295 and deducted 800 for scratches and broken fog etc, and 200 for high mileage. this car was not standard with weird two tone paint non operable sunroof etc etc, so i feel they should use 3000-3500 as their start point as they have clearly sought to bace it on current values.

Any help welcome, I find it funny they complain people are dishonest with whiplash then do everything but break the law to short change us. if any one has some motoring press contacts let me know I will draft a letter to this affect. is it really ethical to knowingly offer bellow market value for a car (in relation to the £250 offer) assuming people will just accept out ignorance! then post a check in my case for £950

(deducting £350 for salvage) and do this with out consulting me in the hope i accept cash the check and are legally bound to this. if i acted this way in my professional life I would be in court.

Classic car insurance on renewal.

I had it a number of years ago when some tit stuffed a vectra I had as a daily. They offered me £1950 when I had bought it the week before for £2400. I remained calm and they told me that had priced it off one of the cheapest examples on auto trader and that was how they worked. I then found more examples of the same spec and mileage and age and they re priced it at £3000 so best advice is refuse to accept it and you want the full price of the car and your not willing to stump up any recovery salvage etc as it was not your fault their driver crashed the car.

You could always speak to the other parties insurance company direct and let them know the problem and point out that if it goes on for ages with arguing over total cost your insurance company are going to bill more for their time than the difference.

Also did you get a courtesy car if so that's a daily cost they have to bear till the claim is settled.

Really hope you get this sorted out mate. Always thought insurers might do this. Will follow this link with both interest & figures crossed you get what your Rado is worth.

i have a claims company dealing with it not my insurance, they are dealing with the 3rd party insurance. worth noting that while claims companys are great as they avoid me claiming though my insurance thus suffering a rise in premium (apparently they can do this even in a non fault) if you are dis pleased with the verdict you can not involve the finance ombudsman or other bodys as your contract is not with the 3rd party, seems wrong but they told me themselfs. so its county court or lots of hounding.

the irony is the hire car supplied has now exceeded the cost of the car (around 3k), not to mention storage fees claims company fees, etc i cant see them paying less than 10k including costs!

I have had a independent valuation today so i will see what he proposes, it is daft if they made a reasonable offer i would accept but to be honest i happy to take up the argument with them. I have received my car back to avoid charges as i believe if they stick to there original offer they will only pay up until they made that offer or just after,

we need some motoring press coverage of this!!!

Edited by nickeboy

I went with a similar company when mine was hit (same circumstances as you ) the woman who hit mine admitted fault !

I have agreed value on mine (5k) I met the estimator (within a week) with a huge file of receipts .The estimator valued mine at 5.5k and the work needed was4.75k.

But cause of its age,I could use 2nd hand parts on the non structural parts !

After 3 months they took the hire car back, But in the end,I put money in,and have an immaculate car !

Car was done in the garage of my choice !

Good luck

My 92VR6 was hit in the rear wheel arch/wheel while parked and the insurance have declared it a write off. obviously the insurance company of the 3rd party offered a pittance £250 followed by £1295 for the car as it is deemed a insurance right of (bodywork alone £1800 for insurance repair) i would expect the car to fetch between 2300-2800, couple of minor scratches cracked fog light but other wise in good condition with 160.000 miles. any one had experience with the insurers? they seen a law to themselfs, I have posted similar adds with values of very good condition cars ranging between 3500-4500 for them to deduct from for my cars condition.

I would say they were using the glass guide for there figures which i believe are around £1000, but in fact hey have based it on a Corrado they found priced at 2295 and deducted 800 for scratches and broken fog etc, and 200 for high mileage. this car was not standard with weird two tone paint non operable sunroof etc etc, so i feel they should use 3000-3500 as their start point as they have clearly sought to bace it on current values.

Any help welcome, I find it funny they complain people are dishonest with whiplash then do everything but break the law to short change us. if any one has some motoring press contacts let me know I will draft a letter to this affect. is it really ethical to knowingly offer bellow market value for a car (in relation to the £250 offer) assuming people will just accept out ignorance! then post a check in my case for £950

(deducting £350 for salvage) and do this with out consulting me in the hope i accept cash the check and are legally bound to this. if i acted this way in my professional life I would be in court.

Classic car insurance on renewal.

Go through your own insurance company, they should see you right. You do not have to deal with the accident management company or the third part's insurers.

Another option is to get an increased payout figure but also retain salvage, repair and put it back on the road.

You're in a fairly strong position as it is a non-fault claim.

Stick with it.

I am happy to offer advice if you PM me

Thanks