Topaz2008

Corrado G60 OMEX Install

I have started to install my OMEX ECU system and thought I would post my progress so far.

I have started the wiring and the ECU has been mounted in the glove box. I have also started to mount the sensors. So far the brackets have been made for the TPS sensor and I have just started the bracket for the crank position sensor. I will update this thread as I go along icon7.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69693[/ATTACH]

The wiring has started

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69694[/ATTACH]

Throttle position sensor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69695[/ATTACH]

Throttle Position Sensor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69696[/ATTACH]

Throttle Position Sensor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69697[/ATTACH]

Crank Position Wheel

Omex Info.zip

Oooh, interested to see how you get on with this. I was recommended standalone given the setup I have, but it seemed like a lot to do on a G60 so didn't go down that route.

Oooh, interested to see how you get on with this. I was recommended standalone given the setup I have, but it seemed like a lot to do on a G60 so didn't go down that route.

I have a similar setup to you but not a big valve head and was fed up with the difficulty in getting the car mapped as it was a case of writing a chip, doing a power run, writing a new chip etc. I was never happy with the results so now at least with a modern system it can be tuned more easily.

Absolutely mate - I have heard the standard setup refered to as 'digipants' and there are few people who can map G60's on the standard software well these days. Your route opens up loads of other mappers.

My old G60 was epic on standalone management! There are a few things that can make it a bit more simple..... some of the later golfs have a crankshaft main seal with an integrated crank sensor. G60 auto throttle body has a build in TPS.

My old G60 was epic on standalone management! There are a few things that can make it a bit more simple..... some of the later golfs have a crankshaft main seal with an integrated crank sensor. G60 auto throttle body has a build in TPS.

I was aware of the TPS fitted to the auto model but I thought it would be hard finding one. That bits done now so no worrys. I would say that mechanically the hardest bit is the crank sensor but I have a plan and will post the outcome soon as this is underway now.

A bit of an update....

This is my cut down distributor. As the Omex system uses a coil that does not require a distributor the old one has been cut down and capped to fill the hole and drive the oil pressure pump.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69767[/ATTACH]

This picture shows the boost pressure sensor and part of the new wiring loom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69768[/ATTACH]

More of the same...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69769[/ATTACH]

New air temperature sensor. This comes from Omex as a threaded unit. An alloy converter was made for the sensor to screw into that had the same outer dimensions as the old VW sensor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69770[/ATTACH]

For those of you who are electrically minded here are the wiring schematics:-

Omex Install Electrical.pdf

You may notice that the ISV is controlled by a solid state relay driven by an output from the ECUicon3.png. This is because the OMEX ECU cannot drive this directly. This has been tested by OMEX prior to this install and works ok.

More later..... icon11.png

Edited by Topaz2008

Here we go at last the car is ready to start. The last few bits are fitted (see below). I have had the car running with the OMEX startup map and its drivable. Tuning and proper map next.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70948[/ATTACH]

Crank position sensor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70949[/ATTACH]

Crank position sensor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70950[/ATTACH]

HT leads

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70951[/ATTACH]

Edited by Topaz2008

Good effort !! i brought some interior bits off you about two years ago for mine and looks like youve been busy 8) .....good luck with it mate

Good effort !! i brought some interior bits off you about two years ago for mine and looks like youve been busy 8) .....good luck with it mate

Thanks Stewart, did you ever get the dragster running?

hi mate good work been thinking of going down this route is the ecu omex 600 series

& is that the aba crank pulley

:thumb right:

hi mate good work been thinking of going down this route is the ecu omex 600 series

& is that the aba crank pulley

:thumb right:

No the pulley is the standard one modified. Have a look at the top of the thread and you will see the component parts before they were modified.

hi mate i no you have modified the pulley to add a toothed crank wheel for cps

i men the harmonic balancer/pulley the standard g60 one is in 2 pices

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/products/2525/Crank_Pulley_MkIII_ABA_8v_OEM_NEW

Yes it still has the standard balancer. The Omex toothed wheel has a 20mm hole in the middle as standard. This was enlarged on a lathe and the wheel fixed to the back of power steering pulley. I think the back of this pulley was turned down as well so that the new assembly fitted together properly. It was all checked with a DTI to ensure it ran true. My brother did this and could offer the same service if required.

I have finally got to the rolling road and had the car mapped. I have uploaded the results below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72697[/ATTACH]

190.3 BHP with 194.8 lbft of torque. This is an improvement on the results for the same engine with the standard system and GWerks chip (173.8 BHP 174.8 lbft).

The engine makes peak power at 5600 RPM but the boost still continues to rise. Strangely this is the same peak power RPM for the standard setup. I can only conclude that the head needs some work, maybe bigger exhaust valves? Any expert opinions would be welcome :D

The current head is standard apart from some flow work carried out by GWerks.

So was it worth all the effort? Despite the peak power being a bit lower than I hoped for the car is completely different to drive. Much more responsive and a lot faster. Overall I am very happy with the results!