Philstrm250

VR6 Radiator air guides

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of genuine radiator plastic air guides and fixings, either new or used in vgc for a late VR6, they sit either side of the radiator. They're not the plastic fan hoop guides, but instead sit vertically at either end of the rad. and simply guide air in for cooling, mine are missing for some reason.

Last time I looked on ETKA only 1 side was available and pretty pricey, they do come up now and again on ebay but I'd rather buy from someone on here who's got a pair stashed away or from a breaker in vgc, with no cracks or splits.

Any help finding these would be great!

Many thanks.:cool:

Edited by Philstrm250

Not these fan hoops, shame as they are quite cheap too!

Hopefully I'm not getting confused with the air guide for the air box (1 off?), I was under the impression that there should be an air guide either side of the rad./ slam panel / fan cowling to aid cooling. Does anyone have the ETKA diagram to post up or any pics. of the parts that I need please!?

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

There are also two "air ducts" that sit below and on each side of the front splitter. These are still available with all their fixings.

I do have the large flat horizontal air guides fitted either side of the front splitter, but the rad. air guides are definately missing.

I think that a previous owner or mechanic simply left them off the car, broke them or threw them away!

Cooling.jpg

What bits are we talking about in that diagram?

---------- Post added at 2:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:12 PM ----------

Part 10 says 16v/G60 and part 13 has PG which i'm guessing is the engine code for the 16v maybe?

Many thanks for the info. so far guys.

I'm no expert but it looks like no. 13 to me, but for a VR, unless it's the same part?. Although I've never seen the real thing and No. 13 is only showing as 1 off, not as a pair.

This was the problem I had last time I looked on ETKA as I couldn't see exactly what I wanted. I do have a pair of no. 12's already fitted. No's. 10 and 11 possibly look like the wrong shape, plus it's a 16V/G60 part, but I could be wrong.

It would be great if anyone has pic's. of an OEM late VR rad. with the air guides fitted on the car with the front end / bumper removed? Then we can cross check it on ETKA and confirm the part numbers that I need before hunting the parts down!

Yes maybe they are still available from VW? but I've not checked for a while now, Kev how much did you pay for yours and do you have any pic's. or part no.'s please?

Another consideration is the ETKA chassis code for my 95 VR, anyone know what it is? N chassis?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Philstrm250

Yes maybe they are still available from VW? but I've not checked for a while now, Kev how much did you pay for yours and do you have any pic's. or part no.'s please?

They weren't a lot. £13 for one side and £22ish for the other IIRC. I haven't got any pics or p/ns I'm afraid but I know the bits you mean. They screw into the engine facing side of the radiator end cans with 2 large self tappers. Plus another self tapper per side that attaches them to the radiator support panel.

They're quite handy to have as they stop the engine bay getting wet and full of road salt over winter. I would also get the serpentine belt cover too if not already there as I've lost a few belts over the years to salt and assorted grit particles getting embedded in the belt grooves, which quickly wrecks it.

VWVW - Many thanks for the pic., so these air guides run the full height of the radiator then. Maybe no. 13 on ETKA is a cutaway diagram of the R/H side?

Kev - Many thanks for all the info. and advice, yes actually I think my serpentine belt cover is also missing so I need one of those too!.

I'm sure someone on here knows the vw part numbers for the pair of rad. air guides and has pics. of both sides please?

Does a different ETKA diagram for the cooling system also show the rad. air guides?

Cheers

Didnt know there was a serpentine belt cover for the vr6. Wondered what that looks like too ?

Yep that's news to me too!

So if anyone's got pic's. and part no.'s for a late VR6 radiator set of air guides and serpentine belt cover then please post 'em up here.

Or even better if someone's got a set for sale in vgc?

Air guides:

535121283H (left)

535121282A (right)

There was never a 'top' cover for the v-belt. There should be a lower one though, which attaches to the air guides in the corner of the splitter IIRC. Three part numbers for this, so you'd need to check with the dealer:

V-belt cover:

191825250A

191825250A 01C

535825250A

Edited by CazzaVR

Air guides:

535121283H (left)

535121282A (right)

There was never a 'top' cover for the v-belt. There should be a lower one though, which attaches to the air guides in the corner of the splitter IIRC. Three part numbers for this, so you'd need to check with the dealer:

V-belt cover:

191825250A

191825250A 01C

535825250A

Many thanks Andy, that's great.

I would prefer to wait for a set to come up for sale, but failing that then it'll be an expensive trip to the dealer for all 3 parts, unless they're obsolete?!

Cheers

Currently in the process of ordering these, got one side still waiting on the second 55euro a piece from VW.

Ouch! 55 euro's a piece, plummer - please let me know if you can and do infact get a set of rad. air guides new from vw, what year and model is your car?

Also did you order the same part numbers that Andy - cazzaVR posted up? Did the other air guide go onto back order with the dealer then?

Do you know if your dealer in Ireland ordered the parts from vw's Milton Keynes warehouse or did they have stock in Ireland? Just out of interest!

It's amazing how expensive all these new bits of hard to find genuine plastic trim are for a Corrado these days!

Cheers,

Phil

Yep, many Corrado parts are crazy money now. Some things I've repeat bought over the years have more than doubled now.

RE the serpentine belt cover, Andy is correct. It sits at the bottom and shields the PAS and crank pulleys. 1 self tapper attaches it to the rad support panel. Another one to the arch liner and it also clips around the cross member underneath by the carbon can.

I'm afraid it's obsolete. S/hand is your only option. It took me ages to find one.

I foolishly removed that and the radiator duct panels many years ago, thinking they were just superflous decoration, but after a few winters of getting leaves, salt, gravel and water in the engine bay, and belts lasting 2 years, tops, I sought these parts out!!

Many thanks Kev for the sound advice.

Yep I guess that alot of these plastic parts didn't seem that important a few years ago to protect engine components, I bet alot of these plastic trims were removed during servicing or repair work and then either accidentally broke during removal / refitting or simply thrown away, my car included!

Now all of these air guides and covers are as rare as hen's teeth.

Shame the v-belt cover's obsolete, it will be interesting to hear from plummer if a set of air guides are available and the total cost including VAT, 110 euro's?

Trouble is the air guides and v-belt cover aren't the kind of trim parts that people buy and stash away brand new, but you never know...

Maybe classic-parts.de could be a final option if second hand and uk new vag stock brings up nothing? I'll leave that on the back burner for now tho!