luke1

Voltmeter Installation

Hi all,

Having had flat battery issues in the past, I decided to invest a few quid in a voltmeter to monitor my battery and how much charge the alternator is giving.

I don't know where to connect the live wire to get the best reading from the battery, I tried the spoiler switch as it is conveniently located a few inches from the voltmeter, but the voltage reading doesn't match my multimeter reading against the battery.

Cheers

Yep, glove box light is the way to go - use a good earth as well - either run one to the footwell or the cigarette lighter.

huge voltage drop to most of the circuits behind the dash, you really need a direct feed (fused) from the battery and then use an ignition switched circuit to trigger a relay to feed your voltmeter if you want an accurate battery reading. See what yo are getting at the glovebox light or similar first with a multimeter though, it might be near enough to show you a good/bad reading if your alternator failed, but TBH you'll get a red light on the dash if that happens!