davidwort

Motor industry's never ending quest...

Quote from the article...

"In addition it suggested that the development would "insulate" motorists from disturbances caused by unnecessary feedback."

Now if you had two bit of wire hanging out of the dash board with handles on, that'll be exciting it'd be a bit like a go-cart you had when you were a kid.

Is that not what steering by wire means ?

Bound to happen eh... I think it's a great idea the less components in a car the better. Bit concerned about fail safes though, steering your car out of harms way if steering fails and all that

How exactly? Traditional steering methods turn the road wheels immediately last time I looked.

I thought that was funny too, but I guess they mean there's an advantage over a power assisted hydraulic only system where you need to turn the wheel first before you then get assistance, but I can't really see the advantage over a hydro-electric system, you'd just be putting the steering position sensors on the steering wheel rather than at the rack?

i guess the real advantage is in weight and cost and in theory fewer moving/ wearing parts. I suppose brakes, gearboxes, throttle control and everything else has gone remote so it's the last mechanical system to go. It really will be like driving on an Xbox soon, pass me the force-feedback steering wheel it's my go!

Hmmm, I don't like it. As it says in the article, it's one step closer to driverless cars. It'll be like remote assistance on computers. A team of government people will be monitoring your driving, and then take over the controls if you misbehave, steering you neatly back home, kicking you out of the car, bolting the doors then revoking your license!