daniboy1_2_3

New corrado Vr6

Hi there, not a newbie as such but ive just bought my first Vr6 corrado,black, highline interior (not sure if this is any different to a standard leather interior?) 60.000 miles, FSH, air con and in excellent condition. Ive looked at a few and this one was by far the best, totally unmodified which is a rare thing it seems. Sounded really smooth when it was fired up. When we went out for a spin there was some hesitation, apparantly the HT leads were breaking down, showing signs of arcing under load and these are getting replaced on saturday morning which will hopefully cure the problem.

Ive owned a G60 before so it will be interesting to see how it compares, i know the VR6 has a bit more power but i was thinking it might be offset by the extra weight?.

Im from teesside, would be nice to get along to any local meets if there are any. I pick the car up tomorrow from shrewsbury after its been into the garage. Ill get a few pictures of it up over the weekend. I know little about these engines so ill be having a good look through this forum. Is there a good starting point or anything i should be taking care of straight away?. Cheers.

Sound good, no such thing as a highline interior though. Maybe referring to Golf Highlines that had leather.

Air con is relatively rare as well. For a VR just check coolant levels and oil when you pick it up then when you get it back. Also take out the spark plugs and check the condition as that will give you a good idea on how its running.

Looks like you have a fair bit of travelling to do if your from teeside and collecting from shrewsbury. If its the right car its always worth the journey. Get some pics up when you get the chance.

If your old G60 was only standard spec, then the VR is definitely quicker! :)

Well i returned home today with the above car and must say am very impressed with the performance and sound of the VR engine. Even the fuel economy wasnt as poor as i was expecting and its most definately quicker that the standard G60 i was driving. The only slight downer is the fact that there is a misfire when the engine is under load. I picked it up today after being told it was sorted with a new set of HT leads. It soon became apparant that the problem was still there. I called him up and he has agreed that whatever the problem, i can get it fixed and send him the bill for parts as i said id do it myself. Not knowing these engines im thinking it could be a coilpack, earth fault somewhere, ecu or injection, lambda sensor or airflow sensor/potentiometer depending on whats fitted?

The leads can be a pain to get them seated right, I had a misfire and was happy to find(by accident) that the back middle lead just need a wee push onto the plug :)

Tried the leads and they all seemed to be seated ok, getting the plugs in and out looks like it might be a fiddle too. Ive ordered a new coilpack which will hopefully sort the problem. There is a large wiring connector block on the rhs of the head which looks like the injector wiring, im going to disconnect this and give it a clean. Also i read that by running the engine briefly then switching it off but leaving ignition on the maf will heat up and burn off any oil/contamination that might be there so will try that also.