yacobwood

Nokia Lumia 920

Anybody else considering getting one of these? I think I’m going to buy outright, swap sim and sell my 4S. Looks like an awesome phone.

Supposedly it’s out Friday but I can only find it on Phones 4 U on contract?!? =/

Yeah - been following this handset for a while but Nokia have been terrible at releasing information. I heard it was going to be an EE exclusive, on contract only but have subsequently read that Phones4U should be selling it SIM free for £459.99....

Yeah I'm interested in it too. Looks superb. Best camera of all the current smartphones, so could be a viable camera replacement for a lot of people who don't want SLR quality pictures.

The question still remains how good Windows 8 will be and people with iTunes may struggle getting their music onto it.

It means using the Bing app on Windows - which is really quite pants if you're already a well established iTunes user (like you are, Kev) :(

Hmmm. They really grab you by the balls with their proprietary stuff don't they?

I suppose I could just get an iPod but that'll mean carrying 2 devices on the train. What an arse.

I brought an iPod classic so I didn't have to buy the 32gb iPhone and saved some money too. 120gb 6th gen classic off eBay or £80. This was about a year ago. Phone seems to work quicker with no music on either :)

I use Spotify for most of my music these days.. I'm rarely somewhere without good WiFi or 3G signal - and for the times I know I won't be, I just build a playlist on my PC then log in on the phone and get it to cache it for offline use :) It's brilliant!

Both good ideas! I think I can get my entire music collection onto a big capacity iPod actually, so that may be the way forward :D

That may confirm what I'd heard about it being an EE exclusive, on-contract only... :|

This may be a silly question, but can you have two seperate phone contracts at once? I'm thinking of keeping my iPhone and just let the contract run it's course (only a tenner a month for 6 months) and get the Nokia too.

Yep.. or you could just buy yourself out of the iPhone contract (would normally just your monthly fee multiplied by the number of months you have left) then just flog on the iPhone. If you did it that way, you could also move your number over..

im taking my sim out my iphone and putting it into the nokia. i wont get 4g but that only available in the major cities anyway =/ from what i can see there are no drawbacks in doing it that way....

I have a Lumia 800. Really pleased with it. My other half has had an I phone 3 GS, HTC of some sort and now has an I phone 4. The HTC has not been that great, it often freezes and shuts down. I also find the HTC quite complicated to use. Both I Phones are very easy to use, but 3 GS had poor signal.

The Lumia is easy to use, very reliable, and I would certainly have another Windows phone.

The Lumia is easy to use, very reliable, and I would certainly have another Windows phone.

That's why the 920 appeals to me. Nokia have a long history of making reliable handsets and non-enterprise Microsoft products tend to be reliable too. It could be a spot on partnership and finally knock Apple of it's bloody Laurels :D

I have a Lumia 800. Really pleased with it. My other half has had an I phone 3 GS, HTC of some sort and now has an I phone 4. The HTC has not been that great, it often freezes and shuts down. I also find the HTC quite complicated to use. Both I Phones are very easy to use, but 3 GS had poor signal.

The device manufacturer is irrelevant to some extent when it comes to ease of use - that's down to the operating system running on it. HTC are making Windows Phones, as are Nokia, and various other manufacturers.

In terms of reliability of the device, in contrast I had a HTC Desire for two years and it was virtually indestructible. Now have a HTC Windows Phone (HTC Mozart) and again that seems to be pretty good... :)

---------- Post added at 2:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:27 PM ----------

Bad news. The Lumia 920 has been confirmed as an 'EE' network exclusive. Even if you buy the full price, SIM free handset, it'll still be locked to EE (T-Mobile / Orange) - so if you use either of those carriers you're in business - but if you don't, then you can't buy the Lumia 920. Insanity.

That's why the 920 appeals to me. Nokia have a long history of making reliable handsets and non-enterprise Microsoft products tend to be reliable too. It could be a spot on partnership and finally knock Apple of it's bloody Laurels :D

Lets hope so. You can't fail to be impressed by Apple products, but the restricted way they force you to use the equipment is a big negative IMHO.

---------- Post added at 3:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:58 PM ----------

The device manufacturer is irrelevant to some extent when it comes to ease of use - that's down to the operating system running on it. HTC are making Windows Phones, as are Nokia, and various other manufacturers.

In terms of reliability of the device, in contrast I had a HTC Desire for two years and it was virtually indestructible. Now have a HTC Windows Phone (HTC Mozart) and again that seems to be pretty good... :)

---------- Post added at 2:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:27 PM ----------

Bad news. The Lumia 920 has been confirmed as an 'EE' network exclusive. Even if you buy the full price, SIM free handset, it'll still be locked to EE (T-Mobile / Orange) - so if you use either of those carriers you're in business - but if you don't, then you can't buy the Lumia 920. Insanity.

Very true regarding ease of use, my o/h's HTC is an Android phone.

I'm sure the 920 will be on other networks soon. It would be crazy to limit it to only those networks.

It would certainly limit their customer uptake. I don't get this one upmanship with the big 4, especially now they're bloody merging anyway!

I mean, did Apple really want to limit it's iPhone uptake in the UK by only letting O2 sell it for the first year? And likewise the 920 with EE?

I hate all this corporate game playing. They put their own agendas before meeting customers' demands and satisfaction.

Well they have lost £460 off me straight away. I had the money there and waiting. they will bring it out for others soon enough. Its like Bioshock for Xbox. They said its only ever gonna be on Xbox. Few months down the line, o look you can buy it for PS3. It will change. Just an arse you have to sit through the first few months of not being able to get it

I suppose it's probably best to sit back and wait for all the glitches to be ironed out first anyway, because I bet there will be some :D

What about the HTC 8X - looks pretty darn decent..

Yep - mucho money. Nokia jumped the shark with the 920 I think.

I find it hard to justify spending £400 - £500 on a mobile, no matter how smart it is. My old phone finally died, it was so old it texted in heiroglyphics, so I decided to get a bit more up to date. Got myself a Huawie Ascend G300 that does everything my mates expensive ones do though mine was under £100. http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g300-4594.php Not to sure what a detailed comparison with iPhones and the like would show but it is certainly a lot of phone for the money. My problem with it is that I'm spending too much time wiping out the word with Plague Inc.