kbtVR6

Hello from Newbie in SW Scotland

Hello folks, my name is kbtVR6 and I'm a caroholic........

I am new to this forum as I have just purchased my first Corrado, a 95 Aqua blue pearl VR6. I am no stranger to the brand and also have a Mk2 Gti 8v (and also as 996 Carrera4s, and HiLux Pickup, don't ask....) My brother also had a 16v Corrado but recently parted with it back to a previous owner who had been searching for it for some time. I recently sold my Boxter and the cash was burning a hole and later that evening I was trolling through Pistonheads and noticed the VR6, having always wanted one, I took a look and all seemed good so I have taken the plunge!

Overall the car is in great shape with about 10k of work done on all the important parts (good paint job, wheels refurb, new tyres, braided hoses, new brakes and lines, fuel tank out and cleaned and new pump, new plugs and leads, KW fully adjustable coilovers, full stainless exhaust from cat back, polybushed, all arms, wishbones etc removed and cleaned and powder coated, 4 wheel alignment, and the list goes on and on. The engine (95k) sounds smooth and almost silent at idle with no rattles. Temps all look good but I'll come back to that.

The only thing that lets the car down is the engine bay, (as usual, the bits nobody sees don't seem to get the attention that the glamourous bits) while it is ok, it is not as smart as the rest of the car so I have pulled the front bumper/slam panel etc off to get access to everything and noticed a few issues. The auxiliary cooling pump never runs but is getting voltage signal to it so a new one is on its way. also there was a small drip of water from the end of the plastic manifold for the temp sensors, luckily I only drove it home from picking it up as as soon as I moved the coolant hose attached to it the thing parted company! that was close, so one of them coming too. The 0.15-0,45 bar oil pressure sensor was also disconnected for some reason, after taking it out I found it had been filled with glue, probably to stop it leaking through (just like my mk 2 started doing). Did not expect this as the previous owner worked for VW! I also have a new polyribbed belt coming as it is showing signs of cracking on the insides of the belt, better safe than sorry for £28. The coolant was horrible brown and sludgy so that is getting flushed and replaced with G12++

I will try and keep this forum updated when time permits as I so people can learn from my mistakes hopefully!

One other thing I noticed, the fan runs only for about 5 seconds at a time before stopping waiting a couple of minutes and doing the same, doesn't seem normal however temps do not show any signs of overheating. Fan controller perhaps? The different speeds seem to work, just for very short periods that's all.

Anyways, I am a marine engineer by trade and am in charge of 150,000 horsepower normally so most tasks do not scare me much.

If anybody has any questions (or answers) as I tackle this project let me know...........

Best regards

kbtVR6

I'm having a slight cry..thats the one I've had my eye on and just tonight emailed about it :( never mind at least I can take it of my list now :)