petemcr

Heated Seats Issue

Hi guys

sorry if this has been covered, I had a search for the problem I was having but I couldn't find anything.

I've managed to get a set of heated seats for my C, I took them out myself so I managed to get the loom/switches as well, so I've fitted them in and put in the relays/loom etc... and both worked for a bit, but now the drivers side one has stopped working. I can hear the relay click when I turn the seat on, but there's no signs of a voltage drop like you get on the passangers seat.

The loom had two wires on it, a grey with a blue tracer which is for the illumination, the other was a black wire with a white tracer which I assume to be the main power as the ground seems to be done at the relay end, so I've tested one of the wires in the fuze and found an ignition live.

Anyone any ideas what can cause this, or a wiring diagram to make sure I've put it in right.

Any help would be great as winters well on its way

You may find that you will have to remove the covers and you'll see the element wire running around the base of the seat and there is a join where it's attached/soldered to continue the loop and if someone has knead on the seat or its become detached with general age/usage then it will be re soldered.

If you use a stanly blade you can seperate the cloth covering the element.

Should take an hour or so

Edited by Rams

Cheers Ram

I will have a look tomorrow, I need to test the passangers side is working proper as well because I'm taking the Mrs word for it, but this will be my first go to if it works

sweet

be nice if I can get it working before the temps really drop

when it did work, for like... 2 days, it took a while to heat up, could this cause that as well as the wire might not have been getting a full contact?

Exact symptoms as I had when I first got the car. Makes sense as the driver side gets more wear and tear. Good luck solving it

bit of a late reply on this, but after getting settled in my new job and some time to spare I finally got around to taking my seat cover off as explained, when I came across this bit of a mess, don't quite know where to go from here, has the split in the wire caused the burning, or did the wire burning cause it to break?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70998[/ATTACH]

Looks like the wire breaking has caused the burning have a quick check on the base of the seat towards the back (on the heater element) there should be a silver discs shaped bit which a couple of wires connect this is where mine had broke worth checking while your in there mate

Well, I've soldered the split back up now and insulated it, had to shorten the wire a slight bit but nothing too excessive and checked the back area, all seemed fine round there so just a case of putting it back in now. I'm gonna take the seat back out in a week and check it to make sure its not burnt again anywhere