craigowl

The amazing, sadly mised, Sandy Denny.

A 90-minute tribute concert to her on BBC4 the other night.

One of my favourite songs of all time done by the band and at least one musician who played with her. (Jerry Donahue, lead electric guitar - beautiful solo.)

I heard a concert by Fotheringay - in which she was singer - on the radio in 1970.

Immediately bought the album and played "The Sea" until the grooves sounded rough!

The reason? - This song, the lyrics, the chords, etc. are so unique and moving. Did my head in trying to copy accoustic guitar part! Never got it.

Sea level rise was never mentioned in 1970 - in fact, as the 1960s was a cold decade, a coming ice age was the popular scare story.

How prophetic of her to write this haunting song.

Sandy Denny died suddenly at the age of 31 IIRC. An incredible, unique talent for someone so young.

Hope some of you like this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gchJNflLoI

Edited by craigowl

First time I heard her was when she sang with Fairport Convention in the late sixties. Beautiful voice though personally I'm not keen on "The Sea" as I think it is sung to slowly. Try "Tam Lin" with the Convention though it is more folk rock..

First time I heard her was when she sang with Fairport Convention in the late sixties. Beautiful voice though personally I'm not keen on "The Sea" as I think it is sung to slowly. Try "Tam Lin" with the Convention though it is more folk rock..

Funnily enough, just played Tam Lin a couple of weeks ago - a peak of achievement in UK folk-rock. It was on a Radio 1 program of circa 1970 ("Sounds of the 70s" IIRC). I have got rid of all my reel to reel decks and tapes on eBay, and was saving items from way back that I did not want to part with forever.

She did an awesome track with led zep too. Can't recall the name but it was about lord of the rings, stunning

voice :)

She did an awesome track with led zep too. Can't recall the name but it was about lord of the rings, stunning

voice :)

The Battle of Evermore, from Led Zep 4

The only guest vocalist on any Zepellin album.

Cheers

Jeff

Suddenly I don't feel so old anymore. Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Led Zeppelin and as a bonus a Triumph Dolomite. Just about to You Tube the Battle of evermore along with a last glass of wine before bed. Aaaahhhh.

Indeed here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJH0ETi8D4 I'll just finish the bottle of wine now. It's the last of the good French stuff till just before Christmas when I get my next delivery.

Edited by Wullie

The Fairport Convention Festival is held Cropredy every year about 3 miles from me.

It is nice to hear people appreciate it, although personally not my type of music - not into folk, although I do manage the Festival about once every 10 years.

The Fairport Convention Festival is held Cropredy every year about 3 miles from me.

It is nice to hear people appreciate it, although personally not my type of music - not into folk, although I do manage the Festival about once every 10 years.

"Folk" got flak - just like the "dinosaurs of rock" Zep, etc. after it had been in everyone's hair and ears for a while in the 1970s.

On "Rutland Weekend Television" a great BBC satyrical program then, they took the pi$$ out of it.

Also, remember one line from somewhere "...all those flippin' accountants in Aran sweaters down the pub, holding their hands up to their lugs..."

Personally, I like a variety of music, and everything owes some of its origin to influences from here and there. That fascinates me.

Am regarding "The Sea" more as a sign of "rock" evolving and progressing, as opposed to something more folk clubby. As we can see, in those days, everything was being created at full pelt - so many ideas - so many influences (LedZep bringing in a bit of mandolin and Sandy Denny). Too many great albums coming out all at once.

I am still buying ones I missed from that era, having heard recordings I had kept Old Grey WT, etc, on audio tape.

These have included "Family" compilation and Modern Music by "Be Bop Deluxe".

Will put up 2 links. Repeats of OGWT sometimes show them.

---------- Post added at 2:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:18 PM ----------

BeBopDeluxe & Family.

"Best of English", by the way - don't forget 'em!

Try Terminal Street. Bill Nelson great lyricist, awesome guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQPqiXLaqGE - Family 1 - Absolutely charming, simple, never-dating song from band that could do rough and heavy.

- Family 2 - Great electric guitar. Nice walking bass at end. Chapman's voice.................well. Edited by craigowl

I've worked there for the last 10 years! I got the job as my girlfriends parents have been working there for about 30 years, she's been every year since she was born! Agreed, it's not always my cup of tea either but a great atmosphere and Fairport Convention are great musicians even if they are getting on a bit now! They have had Supergrass, The Levellers and Seasick Steve in the last few years so maybe it will get better. Having said that, this year was a rubbish lineup... I now kindof have my own crew as 8 of my mates have got jobs through me over the years

My VRT and my mate's G60 (previously mine) will be there this year, Wendy- you should hear us coming in from 3 miles away :)

There's been some great 'minor celebrity' moments over the years, including my mate jamming with Lembit Opek at the backstage party!

This is the beauty of music though. There are so many varieties that there is something for everyone. I can't stand some of the techno/electronic stuff that there is but someone else must or it wouldn't exist. Personally I've been into folk music, both traditional and contemporary since I first picked up a guitar and had a relativily successful while as a semi professional. At one stage toured schools throughout Scotland teaching history through folk music.

Nowadays I sing an eclectic mix of stuff depending on circumstances, from Traditional folk, to Johnny Cash to the Bee Gees and picked to suit the poetry I recite. I'm now officially a Troubadour on the local circuit????. I listen mainly to folk and classical music but anything, apart from the aforementioned techie stuff, will do. And to quote Woody Guthrie, "What's folk music? Never heard a cow sing."

At one stage toured schools throughout Scotland teaching history through folk music.

It's great that it's being kept alive as whether it's to everyone's taste or not, it's an important and often overlooked part of our heritage. There has been a lot of young folk bands appearing at Cropredy recently which suggests it is having a new birth.