delfinis38

12 years in storage...

so 2013 is the year the rado coming out on the road. I've not seriously used her since 1999/2000 and she only done about 200 miles in the last 12 years :( started to write a list of stuff to do before spring arrives. I've put a new battery in today and a new complete oem exhaust on a few weekends ago. New tyres next week as the current eagle F1's with about 6mm tread have gone very hard. So what should i be looking at over the winter ???

i'm thinking gearbox / engine oil change and filter's, coolant, brake fluid change, change screenwash, rebuild rear brakes (had problems with sticking calipers in the past. new fuel filters. cars got 40k on the clock currently totally standard VR.

Check all the rubber brake hoses. In fact change them out cos sure as eggs are eggs the new brake fluid will take them out within a few months.

Exercise the brake calipers by pushing the front pistons back and forth and rears turned in and out. That will free them off fully. Get this problem all the time with light useage.

NB. On caliper pistons going inward, open the bleed valve to relieve back pressure otherwise you may damage the ABS block valves.

Got VCDS? Use "Output Tests 03" to exercise the injectors, ISV, Charcoal Filter Valve. http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?16110-VR6-Misfire/page8&highlight=output+test+injector

Add some fuel cleaner like Forte http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=42/Advanced_Formula_Gas_Treatment with the new fuel.

Get as much of the old fuel syphoned out if there's more than 5 liters in there. If there's 5 or less then just fill the tank with fresh good quality fuel and like RW says, put a decent fuel treatment in with it to flush the fuel lines.

If you have any way of getting the car in the air even slightly its worth checking the bushes in the lower arms/wishbones where they meet the sub frame and the rear beam bushes. A quick visual inspection will do if they look like they've cracked over time and have splits in them then change the arms and beam bushes.

Also check your PAS fluid level and check its the right type. Only use Genuine VW/Febi green mineral PAS fluid, not the red Dexron based stuff like all mechanics seem to sling in the car...

Get as much of the old fuel syphoned out if there's more than 5 liters in there. If there's 5 or less then just fill the tank with fresh good quality fuel and like RW says, put a decent fuel treatment in with it to flush the fuel lines.

If you have any way of getting the car in the air even slightly its worth checking the bushes in the lower arms/wishbones where they meet the sub frame and the rear beam bushes. A quick visual inspection will do if they look like they've cracked over time and have splits in them then change the arms and beam bushes.

Also check your PAS fluid level and check its the right type. Only use Genuine VW/Febi green mineral PAS fluid, not the red Dexron based stuff like all mechanics seem to sling in the car...

cheers guy's.... keep the comments flowing. some good stuff here.

cheers guy's.... keep the comments flowing. some good stuff here.

No problem mate. Just thought of another. Check that your radiator fan is free spinning. Unlikely to have seized in storage but you never know!

Also on the note of coolant change I would do two changes. Firstly drain it and fill it with just water and then run the engine for a short period (4-5 mins) to move the fluid about then drain again and re-fill with actual 50/50 coolant mix.

Troy.

I suppose there's a risk the thermostat might have seized so it could be wise to swap that out while you do the coolant.

I'm not the most mechanically minded but if the rear calipers have seized wouldn't it be a good time to change them for the mk4 rears? Buy some in good condition and will save you the time and hassle rebuilding the corrado one?

I bet this is the best unseen VR on the forum! More pictures please Adrian once its out!

thanks for the kind words. I bought the car when it was six months old in 1997 it had 5500 miles on the clock. I used it until 2000 for commuting 15 miles to work each day. summer 2000 i quite work and went travelling for a few years and stored the car in my parents garage. to which day it still is parked ! with just less than 40K on the clock.

I've now got plans to get her going again for this coming spring... one totally standard 4x4 VR :)

thanks for the kind words. I bought the car when it was six months old in 1997 it had 5500 miles on the clock. I used it until 2000 for commuting 15 miles to work each day. summer 2000 i quite work and went travelling for a few years and stored the car in my parents garage. to which day it still is parked ! with just less than 40K on the clock.

I've now got plans to get her going again for this coming spring... one totally standard 4x4 VR :)

Very, very jealous. The fact you owned a nearly new Corrado in 1997..and also that you still own a nearly new Corrado in 2012!!..wish I had been able to do just that. Definitely want to see some photos of your motor and the progress

it sounds like it will be an amazing example once put back on the road.. There wont be many left with that sort of milage. get some pics up.

Edited by Mark261288