Jamie

My VR stereo install thread

Right done a few installs over the years but never done a build thread. Originally I had planned on getting it done professionally but with the threat of redundancy hanging over me I've had to go down the DIY route again. Plans include a lot of mdf, bit of fibreglass (my first go), a bit of carbon fibre (again my first go), some glass, a dash of Alcantara and some tasteful mood lighting :) So here goes...

The cars a 1992 Corrado VR6 in Flash Red. Kit going in (for now ;) ) is

Kenwood PSW-9531 & KDV-C820 DVD changer

JL 500/1 for sub

JL 300/4 for hopefully fully active front end

DLS Nobelium 6.2s

Infinity Perfect 10 VQ sub. Now I know Infinity gear isn't most people's cup of tea, but this sub was recommended to me by someone on Talkaudio a few years back and I've got to say I love it so I'm using it in this install.

So this weekend I finally found a bit of time and managed to get the base and sides of the boot done

2508EA5A-7136-4721-8665-E3AF4767C588-7024-000007A180F5EEE4.jpg

42CA0F39-E0DA-415B-A4FC-BCC86D4CDC2D-7024-000007A1927476B6.jpg

3D3F5335-1491-44E9-A006-B0557C290D2E-7024-000007A18E8F6BA4.jpg

Any input, constructive or otherwise, fire away :D

I like the flat boot floor :)

Sorry for silly question... is there going to be any grill or something to protect the sub ? Or you will never have shopping items in your boot ?

Watching this closely, I really want a sub and want to do a stealth install with a flat floor.

Looking great so far, did you happen to take a picture of the floor piece before fitting the sides?

Watching this closely, I really want a sub and want to do a stealth install with a flat floor.

Looking great so far, did you happen to take a picture of the floor piece before fitting the sides?

Have a look at this - Very old thread!

On my first car I did a flat floor and have used the template since for others.. The foam underneath makes it sit much flatter and means you dont have lumps where wiring comes through..

I like the flat boot floor :)

Sorry for silly question... is there going to be any grill or something to protect the sub ? Or you will never have shopping items in your boot ?

I have an idea for sub protection but don't know if I'm going to go ahead with it yet but it won't be a grille ;) There won't be any shopping going anywhere near the boot of this car.

The floor is actually square Ollie and is inside the sides as my original plan was to have it hinged to get to the spare but I think I'll be running without a spare now. I have all the templates mate you're more than welcome to them and if this all goes to plan I can give you a hand with yours :)

On my first car I did a flat floor and have used the template since for others.. The foam underneath makes it sit much flatter and means you dont have lumps where wiring comes through..

I've got a cunning plan with regards to the wiring ;)

Oh yeah, forgot you're up the road!!

Once mine is back together we'll have to be like the chavs and meet up down the 'gate!

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

I'll get my two mates with 350z's to come, show the chavs how it's done lol

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

I should think it stops the MDF banging when your going over bumps too?

Hahaha I think I'd be more suited to doing burnouts outside the over 50s club mate :D

---------- Post added at 1:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:40 PM ----------

Quick update - had been meaning to get stuck in and get a bit more done today but my little girls off school sick, so in between emptying the sick bowl I only managed to make the amp surround.

913C0AE7-A4BB-4EFD-B1BB-D4C970EDAC46-1653-0000015CF9EF996A.jpg

AB75B465-DA4B-4D12-B0D8-96D41A21DE4F-1653-0000015CFEA263F9.jpg

Pictures aren't the best as again only had my iPhone. The surrounds a bit wobbly cos I didn't have time to make the supports and I don't know why but the pictures make it look like the amps are on the **** - i promise you they are straight :D I think I might trim the tailgate end edge as well, its a bit deeper for a reason but it looks just a bit too deep. The surround will be skinned in carbon fibre when I'm happy with it :)

Edited by Jamie

Quick update - managed to get the amp surround supports and base sides/lid support made after work today. Could only grab a quick phone pic as needed to get cleared up and get in for my dinner before it got launched at me :D Haven't even had a chance to try it in the car so I've just got my fingers crossed its right...

D483983B-51D6-4FA7-91CB-6485FA06A0FF-3510-00000376F636E3CC.jpg

Edited by Jamie

Small update - couldn't stretch to buying a sheet of carbon fibre this side of Christmas so thought I'd just see what the 3m vinyl would look like. As expected it looks like a piece of MDF covered in sticky plastic, a bit like a 1980s school exercise book :lol:

9CD9808F-E43C-40FC-A08F-613F83073F90-994-00000071480E6053.jpg

0EC65BB0-BE79-4450-A4F9-1BDE9A272393-994-00000071376A3169.jpg

Did get the lid done though so next job will be to get the window cut in that.

B9F439D2-E4D6-4355-A402-19F12BE052E3-994-000000712D4C8423.jpg

This is looking good! I will be watching your progress closely also as I will want something more than the standard setup in my Corrado.

My Golf is running a 12" AA Chaos powered by a JBL GTO14001 with CDT CL-62 components so I'm used to better sound quality that OEM systems :p

Cheers chaps :) Bit of a way to go but now the weather is starting to sort itself out I may be able to start cracking on with it again...

Have been a bit lax with my updates on this due to a few other issues that needed attention, but just finished sealing the doors

null.jpg

And getting them deadened

null-1.jpg

More to come soon hopefully... :)

will you be fabricating something to mount the door speakers directly to the door rather than the pods?

will you be fabricating something to mount the door speakers directly to the door rather than the pods?

I will be adding an MDF baffle that will be bolted to the door and the pods will bolt to that until I get round to retrimming the interior and sorting it properly

Going to be a while til the proper door builds are done mate. Next job to be done install-wise is to get the boot finished...:)

Going to be a while til the proper door builds are done mate. Next job to be done install-wise is to get the boot finished...:)

I can wait, I have buggered my gearbox this week so that now has shot up the priority list :(