Joss_Durnan

The real cost of a genuine VAG VR6 exhaust...

My VR6 has been in dire need of a new exhaust for some time now, and since the car is almost completely standard I thought it best to get a genuine Volkswagen replacement.

I had searched on the forums to see how much one would cost, but found a hard time getting a definitive answer. I went down to my local VW dealership this morning and asked them to price the parts for me. I figured I'd post what they told me, it might be of use to some people.

Prices are inclusive of VAT.

Catalytic converter: £561 (now obsolete)

Middle and front sections: £617

Rear section: £444

That's excluding that various bits and pieces you'd need to actually fit the exhaust.

Time to go down the aftermarket route I think!

My VR has 3 sections..... A Cat which joins a sausage shaped silencer box then the 2 rear boxes which are a complete section. I know the 2 rear boxes are expensive C.£450 and may be obsolete now. I spoke to a dealer about a month ago and the sausage shaped bit was £150 and was also obsolete but i was told of one dealer which has one in stock in the UK.

I was fortunate to pick a new complete OEM exhaust up on ebay last year for £150

Edited by delfinis38

A grand might seem expensive, well it is! ... But consider that plenty of aftermarket stainless exhausts are likely to crack at joints or mountings within a few years and will probably foul on something under the car and will never be perfectly tuned to the engine, not to mention noisier, and all of a sudden a 400 quid aftermarket system doesn't look so much of a bargain. The cheap pattern mild steel ones for under 200 will rust before you've hooked all the hangars up :)

Exhaust mark up is massive on nearly all German cars. They know you need it, so charge what they like. A Mini Cooper S's exhaust is over £1500 and it's not a long or complicated system!

Agree with David though. At least it will fit perfectly and sound subtle. The only after market exhaust I've had that fitted perfectly like the OE one was from Techtonics Tuning in the states. Bloody nice sound as well. Slightly bassier than stock at idle / part throttle, but just as quiet everywhere else.

Thanks to a massive hike in Stainless prices in America, importing isn't the bargain it used to be.

I dunno, I have a stainless system (Milltek) and fits perfectly and sounds fine. Yes it's a bit louder at full chat but I could likely have shopped around for something quieter.

Yes the standard system (assuming it was original) lasted 18 years but if I have to buy three stainless systems in the next 15 years then I'll still be quids in.

I was always told that replacement exhausts are never as good quality as the ones they left the factory with, i always buy an aftermarket

My money would go on a Supersprint. Better in every way IMO if you don't mind a tiny bit more noise.

Looks the biz too as the tip is angled like the OEM exhaust.

As an owner of a car fitted with a new VAG VR6 exhaust system (was fitted new about 3 years ago I believe) I'm in no hurry to replace it with a stainless system. First Corrado I've had where I've not had exhaust issues every few months - be it stuff coming loose, stuff dropping off, stuff rattling on things it's not supposed to rattle on.... really is a superb system.

As an owner of a car fitted with a new VAG VR6 exhaust system (was fitted new about 3 years ago I believe) I'm in no hurry to replace it with a stainless system. First Corrado I've had where I've not had exhaust issues every few months - be it stuff coming loose, stuff dropping off, stuff rattling on things it's not supposed to rattle on.... really is a superb system.

totally agree worth every penny ! the one i chopped off a few months ago was 2 -3 mm thick material in places

My money would go on a Supersprint. Better in every way IMO if you don't mind a tiny bit more noise.

Looks the biz too as the tip is angled like the OEM exhaust.

I have read that in other threads, everyone seems to like Supersprint's offering. Not seen any complaints anyway!

Ideally I think I'd still want an OEM exhaust, but the income of a student doesn't quite stretch that far :(

I had a supersprint system on an old mk3 golf 16v and the fit and sound were spot on. No issues ever and sold the car with in on

I wanted to keep mine original but when faced with the cost of the VW one and, as I wasn't fitting it myself, the cost of fitting when you have to drop the rear axle to fit an original it added up to a ridiculous amount so I decided to go with a jetex one.

Been perfectly happy with it, looks fairly original although tail pipe is a little larger and its not that much louder, possibly a bit of a drone at 50mph in 5th though.

I have had a Corrado with a Magnex and another with a Supersprint... Both very good if fitted correctly..

Each to their own though, if you like the standard then why not....

My standard VR6 exhaust will be coming off shortly when I fit my Supersprint system. Think its in pretty good condition if your not in a rush?

I wanted to keep mine original but when faced with the cost of the VW one and, as I wasn't fitting it myself, the cost of fitting when you have to drop the rear axle to fit an original it added up to a ridiculous amount so I decided to go with a jetex one.

Been perfectly happy with it, looks fairly original although tail pipe is a little larger and its not that much louder, possibly a bit of a drone at 50mph in 5th though.

their's actually a scorred mark in the rear section of the OEM exhaust where to chop the exhaust in half, which leaves you with the mid section and rear box. I spoke to my dealer about it and it's reconised to chop the exhaust and sleeve the two together. which saves dropping the rear beam. this is what I did and it work's well.

Tried em all on a VR6 - Standard, Jetex, Milltek, SuperSprint, Magnex, Techtonics and custom x 3 or 4!

The Jetex and Milltek both drone at motorway speeds under part load. The stainless wall thickness is thin, i.e. cheap grade metal. Jetex needs a bit of faff to get it to fit perfectly.

Supersprint is a hybrid. Mild pipework, stainless boxes. Nice tone with no droning. Perfect fit (if you get the right rear silencer).

Magnex - No droning either. Good quality system. Good fit.

TechTonics Tuning - Thicker tube walls, Borla silencers, no drone at all. Lovely sound, perfect fit.

Standard, well, it's standard :D

To be fair the TechTonics one does sound amazing.. just the hassle of getting it imported from the states :(

I drove Mic VR's car when it had it fitted and the sound was perfect.

To be fair the TechTonics one does sound amazing.. just the hassle of getting it imported from the states :(

I drove Mic VR's car when it had it fitted and the sound was perfect.

If I still had a Corrado I'd import one without a second's hesitation. It was by far the best made, easiest to fit & best sounding exhaust I ever heard on a VR6. Nothing else other than standard would appeal to me personally. Well, it'd have to be the TechTonics as it's half the weight and price of the standard one!

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_138_139_301&products_id=663

£402 + shipping and import duties. So shipping + 3% duty on car parts + 20% VAT.

It's worth the extra outlay over Milltek and Jetex all day long.

If the genuine one ever falls apart, it'll be the TT I import. As you say, there are just so few good exhaust systems available in this country for the Corrado :(

Wish I knew more about all this at the time mine needed changing. especially the tectonics ones, they sound good.

Magnex - No droning either. Good quality system. Good fit.

I've got a Magnex logo stamped into my rear muffler - were they only sold as complete systems or is mine likely to be half-OEM? Hard to tell what was there originally when you only have a sample of one!

Sounds fantastic, mind. I'm always getting complimented on engine note and I'm a big fan of the squared-off oval tailpipe shape :)

Stone

Magnex did sell the backbox separately I believe - so it could be a full system, or just a backbox...