Sign in to follow this  
karmannG60

Normal oil temp. and some other Q's

Hi!

I just got my self a 1990 Corrado G60, and have a bunch of questions for you :) .

First of all i was wondering what the normal oil temp. is, im reading between 100C and 116C on mya MFA display, which i think i almost to hot.... what do you think?

And i got this strange whistling sound when stepping lightly on the pedal. when letting it go it disapears and when pushing it further down it disapears.. any ideas what this might be?

Last one: Anyone got a step by step manual on how to wire up an oil pressure and oil temp gauge? just ordered one from Spa-direct.

Thanks !

-Chris

Temp sounds not too bad. Mine tends to sit at 100 - 104 but goes up to 110 - 112 when sitting in traffic. I believe they generally do run hot. You can get a different thermo for it that keeps the temp lower though...

Hi!

I just got my self a 1990 Corrado G60, and have a bunch of questions for you :) .

First of all i was wondering what the normal oil temp. is, im reading between 100C and 116C on mya MFA display, which i think i almost to hot.... what do you think?

And i got this strange whistling sound when stepping lightly on the pedal. when letting it go it disapears and when pushing it further down it disapears.. any ideas what this might be?

Last one: Anyone got a step by step manual on how to wire up an oil pressure and oil temp gauge? just ordered one from Spa-direct.

Thanks !

-Chris

All VW's are designed to run hot - temps you describe are spot on so wouldnt worry about it!... my old valver I saw 124degC in summer once!!... the VR6 runs just as hot!

Sounds like you have some rust / dirt on the front brakes... or poss worn parts.... would take the wheels off and inspect brakes...

Cheers,

Scott

oil does tend to get too hot in G60s especially when the boost is upped.

Im gonna fit a external oil cooler soon so that the water can do the job it is supposed to do.

Which pedal?

On top of the oil filter housing are two switches that screw in. one temp one pressure. the smaler one to the front is temperature n the big one in the centre with a white insulator is a 2bar oil pressure sender. put your sender for pressure in here. if its mechanical use the t-piece (dont screw it in too hard or it snaps-a long story) the electric ones use a similar sender too. i prefer mechanical as only one element can be out-the clock. replace the 2 bar switch at the same time. this is a bit buzzer happy when older. temp goes in the other smaller one thats at the front. dont have one of these as its on the dash

oil does tend to get too hot in G60s especially when the boost is upped.

Im gonna fit a external oil cooler soon so that the water can do the job it is supposed to do.

Which pedal?

On top of the oil filter housing are two switches that screw in. one temp one pressure. the smaler one to the front is temperature n the big one in the centre with a white insulator is a 2bar oil pressure sender. put your sender for pressure in here. if its mechanical use the t-piece (dont screw it in too hard or it snaps-a long story) the electric ones use a similar sender too. i prefer mechanical as only one element can be out-the clock. replace the 2 bar switch at the same time. this is a bit buzzer happy when older. temp goes in the other smaller one thats at the front. dont have one of these as its on the dash

Where abouts you in Manchester mate?

live near oldham.

in newton heath/failsworth at moment at work.

Not far from me then - should get all the north west guys together for a meet! *:)

You going to Dubsport end of month for CCGB RR Day?

That whistling noise is normal for a g60 not really sure what causes it but it is normal for the g60 to whistle has the charger been modded ie stg 4 or smaller pulley as the whistling is more noticable when you have these mods!! As for the running temperatures 110-116 is pretty normal!!!

Scott-may pop down for a look. whats the date for Dubsport.

Not seen too many corrados about round here n even less G60s at that.

I aint a CCGB member so would i be welcome?

If its a weekend may have an hour or so down there n meet a few people.

I was talking about the Gas pedal, sorry bout that :? Thanks for the help guys! BTW when i bring it to almost red on the rpm gauge, and do a quick gearshift it feels like the engine is almost ripping itself off the engine mounts, is this normal for the corrado, never felt it that bad in any other car......

could be the mounts.. could be the sheer ripping torque of the G60! :twisted: :D

you can grab an oil cooler off an old audi (like i did, think it was a 5000 or something) or something else, and somewhere, someone sells a sandwich adapter kit that fits between the oil filter and where the filter screws in. i haven't fitted the cooler yet so i don't know where to get the adapter.. i've had it recommended to me a few times though.

don't mess with the oil lines goin to the charger if you fit a cooler... bad idea to change that around at all unless you're 100% sure its going to get the oil it needs. stick with the adapter.

mine is same.

grab the engine with your hands n shake it. it nods when the front mount is shot. like mine is at moment.

looks like vibratechnics are the peeps for mounts. may try a volks-speed one if it fits as its uprated.

Yeah, I was a bit worried that my car ran too hot but after reading through the replys it sounds fine 100-118C - I am going to get the coolant changed soon and fully synth oil - will see if this makes any difference to running temp!