Otto

Abs options? on a 95 VR6

Ok so if you didn't want to replace an eighteen year old abs system on a 9f vr6, with other eighteen year old abs parts or very expensive new parts for the car can you upgrade/swap it for a more modern setup.

I know the alternative is to take it all together, but if I wanted to keep the abs in for safety reasons (not locking up) what are my options?

I think you're asking for a whole load of headaches on that one. The hassle (read expense) of fitting kit which isn't designed for the car will make the new standard parts look cheap.

Coming at this from a different angle though. ABS isn't all that. I can't deny that for the majority of drivers most of the time it is safer. Especially as I bet that almost all of them are told what I was in driving lessons, just brake as hard as you can, ABS will take care of it.. A good, trained driver can stop quicker without ABS than they can with it. If you're a keen driver then the feeling and control of good non ABS brakes is pay off enough, I have a car without even a servo and it's great. Just a thought.

Ok so if you didn't want to replace an eighteen year old abs system on a 9f vr6, with other eighteen year old abs parts or very expensive new parts for the car can you upgrade/swap it for a more modern setup.

I know the alternative is to take it all together, but if I wanted to keep the abs in for safety reasons (not locking up) what are my options?

There was some discussion on here about fitting an ABS system from a late Mk3 golf which is apparently a more modern and effective system. Kevhaywire (currently going under the name Kevin Bacon) was selling this set up recently and that thread may give you more detail.