Oldtax

Heavy steering?

Got my corrado 2 days ago. face hurts from happiness :dance:

however, my wife took her first drive in it today and commented that the driving felt heavy. WHAT?! but in hindsight i wonder if it is a little heavy - doesnt feel super PAS ... or is that just age?

it does how a slight tendency to move left when hands off but im naively hoping thats tyre pressure!

any thoughts ... or how i would go about checking? no one i know has a corrado to compare. which means im the better person!

The steering does feel heavy after getting out of most modern cars. I spent the day driving my Subaru Forester at the weekend (super light steering and high driving position). It felt easy and fine. That evening I went out to the pub in the Corrado and I thought something had broken because the steering suddenly felt mega heavy! As well as sitting down on the road! After 5 mins I realised it is the Forester that isn't 'right.' Great car but such light controls can feel a tad 'runaway train'..My Corrado PAS works and steering is much heavier than most modern cars?.

Try getting your tracking/wheel alignment done

Edited by Billzeebub

yeah tracking and alignment will def follow soon.

last question then: on bumpy/poor roads when driving slowly the steering wheel jerks quite a bit - is that usual?

sorry for all the Q's on the forum ... i used to own a fiat so always expect cars to break!

thanks billzeebub - most helpful.

Yep, the 'heavy' PAS on the Corrado is one of it's best features, not too light like modern cars and gives great feedback and should feel precise!

The pulling could also be just tracking or worn tyres but could also be worn suspension components.

What you're describing above is 'bump steer' - they do suffer from this a bit but bad roads, certain tyres, lowered suspension and larger wheels don't help.

thanks supercharged. weight lifted from mind.

i am worried about the suspension. little major has been done to the car from the service history - my fear is that everything will go at once and ill end up in prison for armed robbery. who will drive my corrado then? not my wife!

however, nothing on the advisory from MOT 6 moths ago (1500 miles driven since). so fingers crossed.

thanks again. great community.

Yep, the 'heavy' PAS on the Corrado is one of it's best features, not too light like modern cars and gives great feedback and should feel precise!

Couldnt agree more. If youre used to a modern car, the steering in them may feel "fine". But as soon as you jump into the corrado its completely different, not only the steering, but the driving position. The steering feels connected to the road as opposed to a modern car that feels like the wheels are floating just above the surface of the road, with very little feedback. Steering feels numb. Personally i have less confidence in the corners in a modern car. The corrado you can feel what the car is doing.

Is this all due to modern cars having electronic powersteering these days? or just lighter steering racks?

I think its down to too much assistance, the lock to lock on the Corrado is 3.3 turns i think, my alfa is 2.2 so needs more help from the pas.

It always feels like i have to turn the steering a lot more in my C to get the same steering input, but it defo feels more "natural".