Ralphead

Replacement brake master cylinder on my 16v - non ABS

I've decided that my master cylinder is faulty. I've got intermittent pedal feel, initially firm and working, the next press nearly to the floor though I can just about lock the o/s front wheel. I'm not losing any fluid and all the calipers and unions are dry. I had all four wheels off to bleed the brakes yesterday, I got a bit of air out of the rear n/s caliper but the brakes are no better. New hoses two years ago and the MOT man was happy with the hard lines the other week, although of course it was working fine then. As I said though I'm not losing fluid.

As far as I can tell from what I've found on here there's only one type for non ABS cars but I don't know what bore size they are. I can't see any markings on mine without taking it off and only having one car at the moment means I don't really want to do that. Oh mine doesn't have a bleed nipple on it, I think some do?

So can anyone tell me if a Bosch cylinder with a 20.64mm bore will fit please? If not what do I need? Thanks Ralph

It's 22.2mm you need - I have a genuine VW one I didn't use and it's the new alloy type one.

I paid £75 from TPS for it so will do the same price posted if you want it.

Thank you. I was hoping the Bosch would do as its £25 new.. Unfortunately having just today found out that my insurance has been cancelled due to the brokers cock up (another story) I'll have to give you a decision on it once I've sorted that out.

I found this but far prefer the sound of a genuine one. Having investigated this cylinder business I'm just grateful I don't have ABS..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-NEW-FOR-GOLF-MK2-16V-MK3-CORRADO-TRANSPORTER-T4-CADDY-2-/390503580034?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5aebd3c182#shId

I thought it was just air but I got plenty of fluid out of all nipples, and some air out of n/s rear. I'd like to think the master cylinder is ok but to me it seems the only possibility. Also the car has been sat for 6 months (another Corrado-less summer) and the last time I did that the clutch cylinder seals gave up so.. Am I rambling? I might jam the bias valve shut and see what difference that makes. That would at least rule out the rears.