Ralphead

Anyone bought an Eezibleed to use on a Corrado?

Reason for the title is I'm wondering is they come as standard with an adaptor that fits the Corrados fluid reservoir. Or do I need to prepare for a bit of fabrication?

I know that VW recommend a vacuum pump but I've had issues with them before.

Thanks

Yeah there is a screw lid for the reservoir in the kit, the weakness is in the flat rubber seal on the fluid bottle itself, but its a good bit of kit though.

Yep - they work fine and VW say pressure bleed (NOT vac)

The seal supplied is rubbish though and tends to fail after a few goes, I got Gunson to send me a couple of new ones out but were no better - got a new one from VW (cap seal) and it's been great since!

There's a great one I have that is a pressurized plastic bottle with a plunger and a gauge - means you don't rely on a spare tyre for the pressure. Never had a problem with it. Just don't over pressurize it or you risk wrecking some of the older seals.

I bought one, it was fine worked no problems, lent it to a mate and never saw it again.

Bought a new one and it leaked at every connection, where it connected to tyres, the lid, the tube inside kept falling off the lid, the other tube coming out of lid leaked. I had to seal it all up with silicone that day :lol:

lol sounds like you got a friday afternoon one Jim :)

I used one of these too recently when i did all the lines,flexis and clutch & even a new brake fluid reservoir so a completely dry system but only one session and it was all good again.

Make sure you jack up the rear axle compensator a little to increase flow to the rears.

I've used mine on my Corrado with no problems. To give the rubber seal a chance, wipe it off after use. Over time the brake fluid damages it, but if kept clean and dry it should be ok.

Cool. That's a big vote of confidence. I'll get one tomorrow and pray for a dry hour or three. I'll be fitting another master cylinder at the weekend so the eezibleed should pay for itself. Sorry Supercharged I couldn't afford the genuine cylider from you, I wish I could have but bending over for the insurance mafia left me poor.

I hate plumbing. I hate working on brakes, it's like plumbing with bigger consequences.

Well I got the new master cylinder on and after bleeding the system it's all good.

The Eezibleed worked well apart from the tyre valve connector being crap and leaking meaning I went through six tyres worth of air at 15psi.

What with the Eezibleed forcing fluid into the reservoir when you're finished you're left with an over full reservoir. What do people do about this? I opened the nearest bleed nipple and pumped out the excess with the pedal but that's not great. It risks sucking air back in.

Yep - mine always does this which is annoying - I just keep a syringe with the kit which just fits inside the res.

Never had it leak at the tyre end but I have just about everywhere else - I recommend buying a couple of VW brake fluid res seals next time you're at the dealer!

Meant to say always have some brake cleaner handy too for spillages!

The syringe sounds a good idea, as does the seals.

Dealer? I think I've been there once.

I went to take the Corrado out for a test drive now I can stop it. Thought I'd check all the levels first and the car thanked me by the header tank cap disintegrating as I unscrewed it. Gratitude eh?

Nice - was it an original black one?

New ones are blue but only buy this from VW if you can - pattern ones are notoriously unreliable!

Yes an original black one. I had a spare one the same and even better I knew where it was!

What's the deal with blue ones?

The black ones were replaced by VW with blue - upgraded and more reliable part.

This should have been changed years ago but obviously there are a few cars about running them.

I see. I'll be keeping it real with the black one for now. Too many other parts to replace first..

---------- Post added at 8:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:55 PM ----------

Oh yeah. When opening the compensator valve to bleed I found that the big spring was just hanging off the valve lever and not connected to the arm from the axle. It looks to me like there should be another smaller spring on the other end of the valve lever, is that right? I've left the big spring off for the minute.

I always continue to blead the system after the eazibleed bottle is empty. You have to be careful not to allow the reservoir level to go too low. I.e stop at just under max. No need to remove any fluid:). I've done thus many times with no air added to the system.

I did wonder about running it dry but didn't want to risk pumping air in. I'll try that next time, I'll be giving it another bleed in a few miles just to make sure.