Kevin Bacon

Sunroof parts

If anyone has a sunroof cable guide snap on them (very common), VW do a repair kit - part no 1HO-898-014A (£47). This supercedes the original Corrado parts - 1H0-898-015A (passenger side) & 1H0-898-16A (driver's side). Looking on EKTA, this is a 94-97 Passat part, so if you can find a Passat of this era in your scrap yard, you're laughing.

The symptoms of a snapped cable guide are one side of the roof staying up when coming back down from tilt mode and not sliding open.

HTH

Kev

94 VR6

Cheers for the heads up, Kev :D . I need to do this! Is this part OK for the earlier (pre '92) cars?

It's a full on headliner down job isn't it? Really don't fancy doing it, but it's gotta be done :?

nice. think ill have a lok at that in the future. tried to repair mine as i mentioned not to long ago. i tried JB weld. it worked for a couple of goes but then broke. its the initial shock n the fact that it doesn't have a lot to stick too.

is the kit both sides or just one. passenger side has snapped on mine bout 3/4 inch from the cable end. need to replace that part.

Yeah it is a full on headliner down job, but that isn't too bad a job, bar a few awkward clips on the A and B pillars. Getting the liner out of the car is tricky but it can be edged out slowly without breaking it. I think all Corrados had the same tilt/slide roof mechanism.

RE the kit, I'm not sure as on VW's mainframe screen, it states that the original Corrado left and right guides were obsolete from September 2002 and then replaced with the part above. It doesn't show left or right orientation.

Another thing to try is contacting Rockwell international, who make VW sunroofs to see if they have any original C ones left?

I'm seriously contemplating ditching the tilt function and just putting a MK2 slide only system in.

Cheers

Kev

Chris, no not yet but it's on the 'to-do' list. VW will charge £1000 to rebuild the standard roof which is scandalous considering a £27 part has snapped. The Passat (94-97) 'moon-roof' conversion is very possible, but three things to watch out for:-

1:- The Passat roof is ever so slightly more rounded than the C's steel one, so the overall look is down to personal taste, most folk probably wouldn't even notice on first glance.

2:- The Passat subframe is longer than the C's, but should cause any problems. C motor can be used but I believe Passat one is the same or very similar, near as damn it.

3:- The sliding blind, aka curtain, doesn't always slide back as intended since the Passat has more roof clearance, so some folk leave the blind panel off altogether.

My plan is to retain the C steel roof but robbing parts from a Passat to repair it and make one working roof from both sets of parts.

Just need the time to do it!!

Kev

94 C VR6

Andi - Thanks for the link to the Sunroof page.

Julesz - I am Poke Stoges.

Dont get confused by the handle, I've actually got a VR6.

Cheers for the heads up, Kev :D . I need to do this! Is this part OK for the earlier (pre '92) cars?

It's a full on headliner down job isn't it? Really don't fancy doing it, but it's gotta be done :?

you know what we should do :lol: all of owners with sunroof problems should get together 1 day say we call it (the sunroof day) and fix em all there :lol:

you know what we should do :lol: all of owners with sunroof problems should get together 1 day say we call it (the sunroof day) and fix em all there :lol:

We really should sort out a Corrado Forum meet up or something.. somewhere in the West Midlands ideally *ahem* :)

We really should sort out a Corrado Forum meet up or something.. somewhere in the West Midlands ideally *ahem* :)

Oh yea London meet is a great idea thanks andi :lol:

It doesn't bother me... I'm both! :lol:

I'm either in Derby, or in London.. so, yeah, whatever! :)

Sunroof meet sounds cool too - I'd love to do the "moonroof" conv.

Okay,

The Passat sunroof (1991-97) has exactly the same track as the Corrado. The track for the glass roof is however slightly different.

The reason the cable breaks is because the locking lever (referred to as the rear rocker on the (very useful) link) wears aand then starts to jam. This manifests as a slight popping noise on sliding the roof back, followed by the roof jamming when you try to slide it forward. The cable itself is very robust, but the casting on its end isn't. The bit that wears is common to both roofs.

BTW, does anyone else think the author was robbed - $400 for a broken roof that was then damaged in transit?

If you hear a popping noise from the mechanism when you try to slide the roof back it is only a matter of time...

When replacing the cable, fit a new one of these at the same time.

Hi all

my sunroof will tilt but will not slide. It goes to but stops pretty much straight away. Ive heard something about some zinc die casting that 'go' and need replacing.

Has anyone else had this problem, and fixed it? HELP!! :cry:

Thanks!!

Hey, nice to see someone else from Canterbury! :D

What C have you got? Probably seen you around :D

If it tilts but doesn't slide, you need new cables (these come with the part that's broken attached).

That said, if these items are bust you will be able to raise the roof, but not get it to go back down. So if it will fgo back down, the problem is elsewhere.

So, what is it doing exactly?

Hi all

my sunroof will tilt but will not slide. It goes to but stops pretty much straight away. Ive heard something about some zinc die casting that 'go' and need replacing.

Has anyone else had this problem, and fixed it? HELP!! :cry:

Thanks!!

The sunroof channels have some kind of shiney black coating on them to aid sliding. When this wears right down (as mine have) the plastic feet on the guides grind on the alloy that was once covered by said coating. Even new guides don't seem to help. I would have a look in your roof channels and see what's what. Might just need some decent grease, failing that, the motor could be dying.

Kev

Hi!

wow thanks for all that wasnt expecting replies so fast. The motor doesnt sound like its dieing as it tilts it perfectly well, unless it gets jammed when it tries to slide? i assume it works on two different 'gears'?

And yes the tilt comes back down fine!

To AndyVR6, I have a pearl aqua blue 1991 1.8 16v corrado with 17in momo GT2 alloys and lowered 40mm, ive seen a few corrados about canterbury there always seems to be one parked in the parcel force depo, and ive seen an ugly red one (i dont like red) driving about. I usually flash or wave if i see a fellow driver!! :D

Parody,

I have a Blackberry metallic VR6- not sure if I've seen you. Passed one that sounds like yours in Wincheap 2-3 weeks ago, and we gave each other's cars a good look as we passed.

Yeh, seen the black VR at parcelforce, red VR parks around the corner from me in Beverly road, seen my old black 16v, and often see a dark blue de-badged car- who never wave back or anything! :(

I'll look out for you :D

Sorry to hijack this thread! :roll:

Parody,

I have a Blackberry metallic VR6- not sure if I've seen you. Passed one that sounds like yours in Wincheap 2-3 weeks ago, and we gave each other's cars a good look as we passed.

Yeh, seen the black VR at parcelforce, red VR parks around the corner from me in Beverly road, seen my old black 16v, and often see a dark blue de-badged car- who never wave back or anything! :(

I'll look out for you :D

Sorry to hijack this thread! :roll:

Ha Ha!

crazy i actually remember passing you! small world a! wish i had the air con of the vr6 at the moment in this heat.

happy driving!

aaron

p.s. see you around!

I reckon it's the slide latches then. When the roof is tilted, observe the shiny metal castings. Behind these are pivot fingers with a roller wheel and a rubber end. The roller wheel falls into a detent on the slide channel in tilt mode. As the roof slides back, the shiny castings strike the pivot fingers and lift the roller wheel out of the detent to allow sliding. Chances are the little rubber ends have either fallen off or perished. Sounds like the rollers are not lifting out of the detents, preventing sliding. Put some larger diameter hosing on the end of the pivot fingers and try that. Old central locking hose is perfect.

Kev

I reckon it's the slide latches then. When the roof is tilted, observe the shiny metal castings. Behind these are pivot fingers with a roller wheel and a rubber end. The roller wheel falls into a detent on the slide channel in tilt mode. As the roof slides back, the shiny castings strike the pivot fingers and lift the roller wheel out of the detent to allow sliding. Chances are the little rubber ends have either fallen off or perished. Sounds like the rollers are not lifting out of the detents, preventing sliding. Put some larger diameter hosing on the end of the pivot fingers and try that. Old central locking hose is perfect.

Kev

kev

that sounds like a very likely explanation as like i said the sunroof starts to go to slide (i.e. it falls down to go under the roof) but stops dead after its slid about 3mm.

I take it thats a good day long job, roof lining out etc? not looking forward to doing that ive heard even trained mechanics say they hate sunroofs!

cheers

aaron