Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 exchange head

Hi all,

anyone know anywhere (pref up North!), who do exchange VR6 cylinder heads, maybe with a bit of mild tweaking? I'm trying to avoid having mine off the road for too long as it's my only transport at the mo. Oh, & maybe some idea of prices.

Thx,

Robbo

Isn't http://www.Grantmotorsport.com up that way?

£490 for a gas flowed stage 1 VR head.

I know Phat thinks highly of these people and that price seems inline, if not a bit cheaper, than what I've seen other places do a flowed head for, with standard valve sizes.

Considering one myself actually :lol:

I can see what's happening here..... Stealth will be having the car for a week in May for chains etc, and I can see it coming out of there with a 3.1 11:1 CR engine, 3.94 diff, flowed head blah blah...... must resist, I must....

grant is in bristol/bath....

He'll do you a head and charge yo a surcharge until you send him your old one back.

Completely opposite ends of the country then :?

Out of interest, just called my local engine builder and he'll charge £57.50 for lightening, balancing and refacing a flywheel. Does this sound good?

Their head rebuilding prices seem OK too.....works out at £5.10 per valve and seat cut and reface, £10 to press all the guides in, £22 to skim etc etc..... think I'll go down the scrappy and get a shagged head for £50 and go down that route.

If at least just to get them to press the guides in for a tenner :lol:

Good idea that Kev, It'll probably work out a lot cheaper than buying an exchange head already fettled. I might just phone round a few local scrappers & see if there's any cheap VR heads around! You never know... if I can do it on the cheap I might be able to afford some Schrick cams too!!!...

Cheers,

Robbo

Yeah that's the thing, it *can* be real cheap if you want it to be. I reckon the whole lot will be less than £300 inc the scrappy head, head gasket and new stretch bolts.

Normally you'd pay £350 for a standard build + gaskets + bolts + labour. Getting on for a grand. So for Grand you can build a home brew head *and* stick some Schick cams in it :lol:

K