dingo

bad noises.... gearbox?

oh boll*cks.

had the rado up on the stands to investigate some ominous sounds - was getting some bad grinding noises when pulling off in first gear..

initially thought it might be an arch liner rubbing but i think i was being optimistic! :puppydogeyes:

ran her in first gear up on the stands toady, no problem. as soon as i apply some load (by applying the brake) the grinding starts to happen.

it's definitely metallic and sounds/feels like a cog is slipping over another cog somewhere.

it's only happening in first gear when under load. not second or reverse etc.

can anyone offer a differential diagnosis? knackered gearbox.. ?

never jumps out of gear. does have a 5th gear whine. it's done 170K, so maybe it's just feeling tired and wants a break!

what do you guys think?

Sounds like gearbox bearings are kaput,both 1st and 5th would be the input shaft bearings as there on opposite ends. First gear might have stripped due to excessive backlash on the teeth because of play in the bearings. Individual teeth damage cause a 'click' in certain gears

I had what was more like a rattle when under load and in first only same as you, it turned out to be that the six bolts connecting the gearbox flange to the drive shaft were loose.

Due to the grinding sounds i don't think it's the same problem but worth checking.