Relics

Oil Temperature light

Started the 16v today, reversed it off the drive and down the road a little was and the oil temperature light started flashing.

I stopped, checked the oil, but measured ok. Going to take her for a service next week, but a little worried about driving her about until them.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated ?

I have a 9A 2l 16v. This is what I have:

There are 2 pressure sensors on the oil cooler: from memory the low pressure one is 0.3 bar and the high pressure one 1.8 bar. If you remove them the pressure should be stamped/etched on them.

The LP one confirms oil pressure on start up/tickover (oil light goes out)and the HP one confirms min required pressure as the revs rise (oil light comes on if pressure insufficient).

So as stated above the sensor may be faulty-get it changed asap. It wont do the engine much good if there is actually a problem with low pressure/insufficient lubrication

Not to doubt your knowledge, but are you sure its not the water temp light? In which case it could be low coolant in the header

check the wiring close to the pressure switches too, they often corrode where they are crimped into the spade connectors

also, if it really is the oil light then a dodgy switch, wiring or low pressure will also result in a warning beeping from the instrument cluster