sgaites

Mystery pipe blanked off.

Hi all

I'm trying to track down where the circled pipe in the pic should have attached to, before it had been chopped and blanked. When the car was running, there was fuel leaking out. It's a G60 if that helps....

I thought it was something to do with emissions, but the charcoal canister pipework looks intact.

Any help welcome, I will keep trying to track down a pic of an unmolested G60 engine bay.

cheers

DSC02018-1.jpg

Is it from the back of the throttle body? Pretty sure it's to do with carbon canister removal as mine is cut off and blocked.

Here's a diagram for removing the canister that might help

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71641[/ATTACH]

Hmm - that looks a mess, usually those pipes get removed completely when the CC is removed...

Fuel is a worry - the only fuel pipe round there is the small U bend from the end of the fuel rail to the sensor above where you've circled with a brown plug - check this very carefully for leaks as the exhaust manifold is below it!

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Hmm - that looks a mess, usually those pipes get removed completely when the CC is removed...

Fuel is a worry - the only fuel pipe round there is the small U bend from the end of the fuel rail to the sensor above where you've circled with a brown plug - check this very carefully for leaks as the exhaust manifold is below it!

Yep, that's the carbon can hose from the throttle body. There shouldn't/can't be any fuel coming out of it, only way that could happen is if for some reason it's been fitted to the end of the fuel rail (As supercharged mentions)

Follow it down to the lower right hand side of the throttle body and that's probably where it leads to, or should do.

Neil.

So the mystery pipe leads from the end of the fuel rail:

th_DSC02030.jpg

Looking at a Golf 1.8 Haynes manual (I guess near enough the same as the G60 engine) it looks like this should be plugged (no.15 in the diagram)

th_fuelrail.jpg

Can anyone confirm what they have at the end of their G60 fuel rail for me ?

Cheers

Fuel pressure cut off switch hose.That pipe alone has killed many g60s.if the pipe has very small cracks or brittle,change it immediately. All 3 of my g60s leaked at this pipe.grab some new fuel hose cut same length and go to VW and get updated spring clips for hose. Few pence each.

I reckon its been blanked off because its leaking and previous owner couldn't get new hose cause their obsolete.£5 for hose at halfords would sorted that and £1 at VW for two spring clips.

Edited by dannyboy

Someones done the same thing to mine only they shoved a screwdriver into it and clamped it. I never got round to finding out what it was for. Its been like that for ages, your thread has just reminded me about it.

I put some old heat shield cloth from a passat (any vw really)around the pipe to reduce the amount of heat it gets.had no probs after that. But I the spring clips were actually part of a safety recall so change them!

Strange that somebody fitted that hose and then blanked it off. It's the wrong one as it's too long for the fuel rail > fuel switch, that's what made me think it was the carbon can hose, which I still think it is (Looks like it's been chopped on the end so would be even longer)

An absolute must to replace it as the guys say, they tend to split on the inside, while looking fine on the outside.

These were the OE part numbers when I last bought them.

Fuel hose: 037 133 999 (037133999). Around a tenner.

Fuel hose clips: N024 122 2 (N0241222). About £1 each x2

Strange that somebody fitted that hose and then blanked it off. It's the wrong one as it's too long for the fuel rail > fuel switch, that's what made me think it was the carbon can hose, which I still think it is (Looks like it's been chopped on the end so would be even longer)

An absolute must to replace it as the guys say, they tend to split on the inside, while looking fine on the outside.

These were the OE part numbers when I last bought them.

Fuel hose: 037 133 999 (037133999). Around a tenner.

Fuel hose clips: N024 122 2 (N0241222). About £1 each x2

Yeah that's what I though - I could see it was fuel hose but too long and it's even been cable tied up - who would do this with a fuel pipe!!

So is the pressure switch the silver thing in the pic with the brown plug ? It has an open end, looks like it needs something attached rt o it....

Yep. The pressure sensor basically connects to the fuel rail. See pic below, and imagine the end of this hose looping down and running to your fuel rail.

$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEG6TBQ3Id1hoQ!~~60_58.JPG