robrado974

Rear caliper problem?

Quick question for you . If a caliper [piston ] got stuck on would it free itself or would it just keep binding ?The reason i ask is , i was out with the mrs the other day and when i went to lock the car we noticed smoke coming from the drivers side rear brake . We let it cool down and it was fine on the way home . I am having work done on the house atm and was late for work ,didnt have time to move the car , the chippy had no choice and had to cut wood on the drive . the car did have saw dust on the brakes n stuff , so am i right in thinking it got hot and started to burn and it was not the caliper that was stuck ?. Bit long winded i know , sorry ! Rob

Quick question for you . If a caliper [piston ] got stuck on would it free itself or would it just keep binding ?The reason i ask is , i was out with the mrs the other day and when i went to lock the car we noticed smoke coming from the drivers side rear brake . We let it cool down and it was fine on the way home . I am having work done on the house atm and was late for work ,didnt have time to move the car , the chippy had no choice and had to cut wood on the drive . the car did have saw dust on the brakes n stuff , so am i right in thinking it got hot and started to burn and it was not the caliper that was stuck ?. Bit long winded i know , sorry ! Rob

Mine's done this too..... if you have standard rear calipers. it's normally the handbrake release mechanism on the caliper fails to release.

frankly the standard rear calipers on a vr are carp..... most people change them to mk4 golf.

Edited by delfinis38

Thanks guys, if i was to fit mk4 golf brakes ,are they all the same through the years it was made or do certain years fit only ?

Thanks guys, if i was to fit mk4 golf brakes ,are they all the same through the years it was made or do certain years fit only ?

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?40893-Mk4-Golf-Rear-Calipers-Upgrade-Re-Parts

some info above..... new calipers are about £150 each from VW now... go secondhand route or buy from vwspares. Unless your feeling rich :)

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?40893-Mk4-Golf-Rear-Calipers-Upgrade-Re-Parts

some info above..... new calipers are about £150 each from VW now... go secondhand route or buy from vwspares. Unless your feeling rich :)

They're £81 each plus VAT from TPS but cheaper if you exchange - only issue is they can be fussy and want MK4 calipers in exchange so better to buy from VWspares etc

is there a photo showing the standard VR caliper against the Mk4 calipers highlighting the major differences?

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g4brakes.php

Pics on link above of the new ones - not a huge difference really but they are more reliable, have done a good 100k on mine now and still working well!

They still suffer from corrosion etc but if you keep on top of maintenance, clean and re-grease and change fluid every 2 years then they should last.