jimbobcornwall

vr6 timiing chains

hi im currently in middle of doin my timing chains after iv just done my headgasket , i have engine out so its a lot easier , the trouble i seem to be having is that i can line the crankshaft pulleyup on the block no problem and get that spot on , i also have a cam locking tool and can get that all lined up, but when i put the chains on, ( febi bilstein kit) the intermidiate sprocket doesnt sit bang on the line its supposed to be on at 6 or 12 oclock , its probable 3-5 mm off it , and due to chain links i cant get it any closer , does anyone know if this is ok as its worrying me big time

anyone else expeirienced this

cheers

James

Ive seen this before, almost looks about a tooth off right? maybe just shorter of a sprocket tooth? I think thats fairly normal from what Ive seen, some people get that, and others dont, kind of strange!

yeah its really strange, can anyone else confirm if they have had this too, also i have to put the tensioner bolt in oil etc pump to bleed i get that but will it need bleeding again if i dont start the car for around 2 weeks whilst i put the engine and everything in or once bled is it fine

Is it 3mm off with the chains tensioned? As far as i'm aware if the intermediate shaft isn't bang on then the timing will be slightly out.

Is it 3mm off with the chains tensioned? As far as i'm aware if the intermediate shaft isn't bang on then the timing will be slightly out.

Ill put top tensioner in and check again but I think so yeah

The intermediate shaft drives the oil pump. I think I am right to say that the timing is not affected by a slight inaccuracy in the intermediate sprocket position; if it has a distributor it is driven directly off of the camshaft, on the coil pack engine there is a trigger to the electronics.

Best wishes

RB

Just can't help thinking y put in timing marks if it ain't a problem , I just can't see how I can change it so its not off at minute hopefully do some more on Monday see if can change it, but any more thoughts greatfully appreciated

Mine all lined up no problem, I would suggest you take it off and have a play with it before you commit to refitting the engine. It sounds like you want it to be spot on as most of us would. You have to put the top cover in place with the tensioner in once you have aligned the marks before you turn it over and recheck it, I know its a pain but this may be the issue, ie; chain taking up slack (although I doubt the cams would have lined up either if that were the case)

the cams are lined up and the top chain seems to fit fine, have the cams locked off etc aswell , i got to the point the other night where i'd just bout given up and i just thought id ask u guys and clear my head and try again on monday , id rather it be spot on, the theory of the chains is such a simple task only problem is it seems to be wherever the chain links fall is where it is if you get what i mean, ill have a play either morra or tuesday and see what i can come up with,will keep u updated either way

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

http://www.agthompsonfamily.com/vw/TimingChain20.jpg

if u see in this pic from vw vortex guide his is off whilst taking all chains off