G60radoboi

Pre face lift and facelift G60

Can anyone stick up two pics here of the pre facelift and then the face lift G60 or even VR for that matter as I am confused as to what the difference is between them. Looks like the Leon may be going soon too :cheers: This naturally means that my hunt for a rado will begin shortly. I have decided on a G60 but will be looking specifically gor a face lifted one if I can find one :scratch:

Face lift G60 will have:

Bonnet with raised up centre

Wings will have more prominent arches

Front headlights will be flush with front panel

Front grille will have less slats, all of which are aero style

Front fog lamps will be integrated into the frame with only the indicators separately removable. Both will be flush with front face of bumper.

Front and rear bumpers will have a moulding top line that does not curl back in to body.

ABS brake system standard feature.

Dash switchgear arranged as push buttons not rockers in centre left of display.

Dashboard air vents of a more rounded style,

Electric window switches mounted on top of door pods.

Door speaker pods restyled to suit the rounded changes elswhere.

Heater controls change to rotary dials.

Steering Column stalks changed to MK3 golf style rounded bodies.

Hazard switch changed to MK3 golf unit

Sunroof switch changed to toggle operation type and integrated with interior light.

Gearshift weight added as stock modification.

Door mirror control changed to D pad style and relocated into door pull handle

These are the key changes made to the face lifted Corrado. However there are a number of transition cars that came equipped with some of these features only. This was an outcome of Karmann running out the old stock parts. This has been a subject for much discussion over the years, and no doubt for many to come. Good luck with finding your G60, quite simply the best IMO. Mine has entertained me for the last 20 years.

Not entirely that clear cut John - my G60 was a J reg and had the facelift exterior, but pre-facelift interior... so as John mentions had the raised bonnet, slightly more flared arches, etc but interior was all early switchgear - so slider heater controls, electric window switches higher up the door car and not on the door pod, etc..

Same with mine Jim - facelift exterior, but early interior. I wasn't aware of any G60's having the late interior.

Thanks for the replies guys. JMC you have hit the nail on the head for me mate. Every G60 I have seen for sale so far seems to have the pre-FL bonnet and I have not seen one with the facelifted interior. So if I find one with the FL body I am pretty sure I can change the interior too if one comes up for sale? I do like the FL interior a lot...... Still want to see some pics here of the two if anyone has some please.

Here's a good up front shot of my old G60 which was the facelift exterior... notice the bump rather than dip in the middle of the bonnet.

DSC_0079.jpg

thanks Jim, I do like that!!!!! Wish my car was already sold!!!! I WANT A G60!!! LOL I am become rather obsesive about owning one now.

Ah yes - nice one...

Notice the bonnet bulge is now a dip instead.. and the other most obvious feature is the fog lights / indicators - they sit way more recessed into the bumper and don't have the black plastic surround on them like the later ones. Also ensure when looking at any potential cars, to check the wings.. not uncommon for accident damage to be repaired by the unwary, using one later and one early wing as they mount up exactly the same.. but you'll notice your wheel might protrude out of the arch or be more tucked in on one side if the wrong wings have been used!

Thanks for the replies guys. JMC you have hit the nail on the head for me mate. Every G60 I have seen for sale so far seems to have the pre-FL bonnet and I have not seen one with the facelifted interior. So if I find one with the FL body I am pretty sure I can change the interior too if one comes up for sale? I do like the FL interior a lot...... Still want to see some pics here of the two if anyone has some please.

Mines a late J reg, and came with raised bonnet, late bumpers, late wings etc, but early interior. You should be able to swap early to late in the interior. Door cards, not a problem (done that on mine). Some wiring differences (late mirror and window switches are different for example). If you've doing a full swap inclusing interior wiring looms then there is no reason that shouldn't be doable, but yeah, look for one with a FL body.

Excellent!!! This just keeps getting better. Thanks guys, looks like my motor is pretty much sold too as the guy is waiting for me to sort one or two more things this week-end then he will collect. RESULT!!!!!

Face lift G60 will have:

Dash switchgear arranged as push buttons not rockers in centre left of display.

Dashboard air vents of a more rounded style,

Electric window switches mounted on top of door pods.

Door speaker pods restyled to suit the rounded changes elswhere.

Heater controls change to rotary dials.

Steering Column stalks changed to MK3 golf style rounded bodies.

Hazard switch changed to MK3 golf unit

Sunroof switch changed to toggle operation type and integrated with interior light.

Door mirror control changed to D pad style and relocated into door pull handle

None of that was actually added to the late G60's, only the VR6.:thumbleft: But the rest below is correct:thumbleft: and you can easily change a lot of it. I'm not aware of any G60 factory fitted with a late interior, pretty sure there weren't any.

Bonnet with raised up centre

Wings will have more prominent arches

Front headlights will be flush with front panel

Front grille will have less slats, all of which are aero style

Front fog lamps will be integrated into the frame with only the indicators separately removable. Both will be flush with front face of bumper.

Front and rear bumpers will have a moulding top line that does not curl back in to body.

ABS brake system standard feature.

Gearshift weight added as stock modification.

The late G60 also had:

Different door handles (Raised area around key hole) Although some changeover cars had early style.

Different floor pan to accommodate late style exhaust system and bar style hangers.

Also larger fuel tank and associated straps.

Late/VR6 style slam panel (TBC But yes for 'N' chassis onwards.)

Fatter wing/door mouldings.

I'm really (Geekily) interested in the early/late G60 thing, I'd love to know how many late ones there are so I started a facebook page but it's not busy enough really. https://www.facebook.com/VwCorradoG60

A rough rule is that anything 'N' chassis onwards is a late model.

Couple pics for bumper comparison.

Note the early one actually has a late bonnet though, probably fitted afterwards or none UK model...also shows different grill etc

corradobumperearlyg60style.jpg

Late style front bumper/grill etc. EDIT: If it was actually an SLC (U.S spec) it would also have side markers in the buper.

corradobumperlatevr6slcstyle.jpg

Edited by Riley

Yep. Lots are mixed and matched after being around for so long. Sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing. I actually prefer the early bonnet for example lol. But on a more serious note it could...show signs of repair work.

That bumper could actually be a late one (Hard to see the trim line in pics) with early lighting fitted. Lighting doesn't seem to si very well. Bumper seems to match the front wings well enough.

Late bumper lighting will swap into early bumpers with a small tweak btw.

My G60 is J reg & has face lifted exterior & early interior except for the steering wheel which is the later one, I guess they ran out of the early steering wheels, & I'm so glad because I much prefer the look of the later one.

Good luck with your search they were pretty rare when I got mine way back in 93.

Mines K reg built June 92.

Late shell, all late panels.

Late black leather interior, must have been one of the very last ones built.

Wide rear axle too.

Has another sticker under the one in the boot. Can't get to it to read tho.

Possibly was going to be a vr at some point in its build.

Hmm, no good for decoding genuine US-spec G60s:

Sorry this VIN can't be decoded or you entered wrong brand of car!
Mine must be ¨stolen¨. Well, at least VW managed to identify my G60 :)

Tempest

Yup, that´s the first thing I checked. Also tried both VINs, the US one (where the Z characters are replaced with more specific engine codes) and the normal European one (with all the Z-characters in place).

Tempest