P3rks

Bubbles under paint? Cold weather? Bodyshop needed in Sheffield

My Corrado has been sat for the past couple of weeks (outside) due to the poor weather.

I took a look at it today and I found a few little bubbles, under the paint, but only on the bonnet!?

The car was resprayed about 5 years ago and this is the first I've seen of anything like this. There are no chips or paint loss in the areas affected. The paint is intact. It's just bubbled.

Any thoughts?

Edited by P3rks

reaction between the two paint types I'm afraid, either they are incompatable or the surface wasn't prepared properly, perhaps even moisture in the primer or metal, I don't think it's anything to do with conditions on top of the paint from weather or chemicals, you see this fairly commonly on repairs.

As davidwort says :-( Have you run the car before noticing it? I'd imagine the cold weather plus the heat from under the bonnet has heated any moisture that was inbetween the paint and brought it to surface. I tend to get steam coming off the bonnet when it's really cold, that's the sort of thing I mean.

Do you have the sound deadening stuff on the underside?

I have similar on my bonnet which was only resprayed at a body shop 18 months ago - i was told they had taken it back to metal during the prep

from my experience with helping at my friends camper van business if a panel is not properly wiped with tack rag literally just before spraying, or if the spray booth is not completely dust free, small particles can get trapped under the paint & they will eventually (times can vary greatly) work their way to the surface & create such bubbles/imperfections

I have been putting much thought into taking it back to the body shop & trying to get them to rectify it but i fear that i will be given a cold shoulder as i paid cash

Plus im kinda loathed to take it back there as there were quite a few things they did not do despite them being agreed & i know from personal experience that they cut corners (EG they didnt bother taking off the passenger door handle & thus the paint under it is clearly stippled)

i hope to carry out a complete respray myself once the van business can cope with my rado in the corner for a while & i have a 2nd vehicle - as i think this is the only way i can guarantee the quality of finish i want

The car's not been ran for about 2-3 weeks.

It's just bizarre how it's only just come out now, you would have thought it would have happened fairy quickly after the respray, not 5+ years; there is no hope of going back to the bodyshop after that amount of time. It's just frustrating for me as mechanically I can do anything, so if it broke I would fix it, but this isn't something I can fix. Grrrrrr!

Oh well, I'll get a front end respray and solve a few stone chips at the same time. **** happens so I might as well make the most of it and get it refreshed for this spring/summer.

Edited by P3rks

Tis surprising after so long...:scratch:

It's just frustrating for me as mechanically I can do anything, so if it broke I would fix it, but this isn't something I can fix. Grrrrrr!

I can only imagine mate, I'm sort of the same. Would rather a painter do a proper job than do it myself (Can paint alright but would rather find!!!/pay a pro) Real sh1tter...But a good way to look at sorting it.:thumbleft:

Yeah. looks like moisture under the paint and this cold weather has expanded the moisture creating bubbles. Apparently it may go away when the weather warms.

Either way I want I fixing. Anyone know any bodyshops in Sheffield or close to Sheffield?

Thank you for this link!!

It does state a possible as 'Improper surface cleaning or preparation. Tiny specs of dirt left on the surface can act as a sponge and hold mosture'

It seems like finding a painter who will do an exact & proper job is like trying to find the holy grail :(

So... Can anyone recommend a bodyshop in or near sheffield?

And also what I should be paying for a front end respray?

La sprayshop in Barnsley. Lee is awesome, loves these cars and knows his way round them. My car is kept nearby so you can check his work if you like?

La sprayshop in Barnsley. Lee is awesome, loves these cars and knows his way round them. My car is kept nearby so you can check his work if you like?

Yes please! My cars off the road until I finish my OBD2 conversion which will be soon, then I'll arrange to pop over if that's cool?

What work have you had done?