timmaaah

Gearbox shift cable broken - please help

Aaargh - I was having some gear selector probs recently (here) and I thought I'd sorted it, but I started to get more and more problems. Today, the cable itself has snapped, right near the gearbox. It's the cable that goes back and forth (shift cable?) not the one that makes it go up and down (tower/selector cable?).

I'm not sure how it all comes apart or how it's replaced. I have got the metal plate out that is close to the gearbox, so the cable is loose. The cable then disappears into some heat shielding. I've also taken the gear selector apart/out from the cabin, but the cable remains in place. I haven't a clue what to do next.

Please, can anyone help me/describe what I need to do next - many thanks!

Edit - picture added

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72139[/ATTACH]

Edited by timmaaah

You can get the shift box out by either:

Removing a section of the exhaust + the heatshielding. It will simply drop out this way. Best done on a lift.

Or... removing the shifter trim and then cutting away the metal lip at the front. This allows the bolt enough clearance. If you check out daves16v shortshifter thread, I'm pretty sure it's covered in there.

I have spare cables if you need them.

Cheers for the reply - I'm at this stage in the cabin - what next? Sorry to sound silly, but the cable seems to still be held firmly in place!

IMAG0889_zps2a1abb3a.jpg

Sorry for the big pic - forum wouldn't let me thumbnail :/

I'm pretty sure you can't get the shifter box out from inside, happy to be corrected. The cables are bolted through the front of the box and unless you can get to them then you will need to drop the box out.

I've also got spare cables, infact I've got so many you can have one for free + postage cost.

---------- Post added at 4:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:52 PM ----------

Just thinking about it, you may be able to get the cable out from underneath but leaving the box in place.

I'm pretty sure you can't get the shifter box out from inside, happy to be corrected. The cables are bolted through the front of the box and unless you can get to them then you will need to drop the box out.

I've also got spare cables, infact I've got so many you can have one for free + postage cost.

---------- Post added at 4:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:52 PM ----------

Just thinking about it, you may be able to get the cable out from underneath but leaving the box in place.

Oh cat bottoms. Does that mean I have to squirm around under the car once it's up on ramps? Is it quite straightforward once the exhaust is out of the way?

Dave, thanks for the kind offer regarding the cables. Are the short shifters still available? If so, do you have any ready? Seeing as the shifter is already out of the car, I may as well do this mod too!

Oh cat bottoms. Does that mean I have to squirm around under the car once it's up on ramps? Is it quite straightforward once the exhaust is out of the way?

Don't know, never had to do it. Anyone else answer this for Tim?

PM replied to.

Ok - quick update - the ONLY way to replace these cables is to remove the shift mech box from underneath the car. I took the cat out and dropped the front heat shield. I also undid the two fastenings on the rear heatshield which gave me enough space to drop the shift box out. The shift box in held in place with four bolts that are accessed by removing the exhaust/cat.

If you have a pit or a lift then this job is easy - if, like me, you only have ramps, prepare for cursing, pain and loads of crap going in your eyes.

Thanks for all the help and pointers :)

Edited by timmaaah

Sorry bud, thought you could get it out through the top. Horrible scrabbling around under the car without a pit/lift :(