guildmage

Clutch Master Cylinder

To keep it simple I do have problems selecting first gear. Gear change is "notchy". Sometimes it will not go into the gear at all (like there is something there stopping the gear lever). Usually depressing clutch and pressing it again fixes the problem. Sometimes I just have to do it twice or so. In the unlikely scenario it will not go at all and have to set of from 2nd gear. As you can imagine at traffic lights it's nightmare :(

On top of that every now and then (very rarely) my clutch pedal will not go back. I can lift it back with the foot and then it's fine.

So far I have replaced Clutch Slave cylinder (it stopped clutch pedal on the floor to happen so often), and I had 3 times gear linkage adjusted. Every time it was slightly better/different but never perfect. I also checked and "circlip" is in place.

I was told by mechanic that replacing clutch master cylinder may help as there is something wrong if my clutch pedal can sometimes end up on the floor. So booked my car into the garage, and it turned out that nobody can source Master clutch cylinder! I was told it's VW dealer (£145) + vat + labour ... which makes this a very expensive replace.

Now if I knew it was Master cylinder, I'll dish out money and will get it sorted but what are the chances of this being the culprit? Problematic is only first gear, all rest of the gear including reverse are dream to select, etc... Am I missing something? I'm happy to spend money and replace old with new... but going on a hunt chase like that will cost me ££££s and I may still end up with same problem..

Thanks for any feedback

Thanks for heads up. My mechanic claims he rang most of these websites, GSF, Eurocarparts and usual stuff. Only place he thinks he can get it is either VW dealer (which is almost 3 times the price of the pattern part) or second-hand.

I would go with dealer but I cannot see how replacing master clutch could help with my issue? It would surely stop my clutch pedal staying on the floor (on the odd occasion) but would it help in 1st gear selection, maybe?

I'm a noob really so I'm totally depended on others opinion/advice. Can you get this part from any other car (Passat, Golf or is it unique to Corrado?)

Now, on a bit of a joke'y side of the story. Is that what it makes car a classic?

You first wait +20 years to get rid of 50% of the cars through accidents, heavy usage, rust, etc... Then you make every possible part obsolete (so that the ones that can be fixed are changing status into breakers). And then once you left with

No I think he's right - those ones are actually LHD too...

It's likely that the slaves been done before or the fact that it failed has taken the master cyl with it

1st gear is usually the most difficult to get in when the bite point drops due to a hydraulic issue - If it's not the slave and the pipe is ok and fluid is fresh then it has to be the master

---------- Post added at 2:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:15 PM ----------

You also need the pedal to match - see this thread

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58626-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-where-can-I-get-one

I have a 2l 16v too and occasionally have the same problem. I replaced my slave cylinder without curing the problem. However I've noticed it only happens if the car sits a while with the engine running. I believe its caused by the heat generated by the exhaust manifold. There should be an 'asbestos type' blanket heat shield between manifold and master cylinder and a metal shield between manifold and bulkhead-my car has neither. I think the heat lowers the viscosity of the clutch fluid and softens the master cylinder seals, hence causing temporary failure of the master.

I intend to provide the required heat shield to see if this solves my problem. If not I have a used master which I will fit as it must be the master which is at fault. As far as I am aware its not possible to buy a new master which is the reason I sourced a used one!

I was wondering whether your car is also missing the heat shields??

Sorry I didn't check it. I was too busy with work this week. I will be poking around this weekend to look for these shields. My clutch pedal also drops when engine is running (after a while). But it is very intermittent... One day I am trying to make it to happen and it won't. The other it will just drop out of nowhere. Everyday I drive I have to think about it constantly it just takes away the pleasure of drive.

I'm a bit at the crossroads now... I'm still considering going for dealer part (assuming I can get the part and the part will fit) in a bid to fix this, if it won't work, then I may have to reconsider my options...

Are you sure the slave is ok - i.e. it's not an eBay special?

Yeah I'd just bite the bullet and change it, once it's done it should be good for another 20 years!