Rams

Cam lobe alignment 263's

Went over today to check progress and the head was re fitted and torqued. My same mechanic who replaced the timing chains a little while ago is doing the work at present and I noticed the lobes were not straight.

Should they be like this?

I never had problems when he replace the chains and tensioners before and the car ran as it should but this time I just wanted to double check.

Anything to put my mind at rest would be great

Cheers

Rams

The slots in the cams should line up with the top surface of head.Is that what you mean ? Does your mechanic think there is a problem ? Looks like the cams just need to be turned a little to line up,cant see a problem there Rams.

Looks fine to me. The pictures show the cams set a few degrees off TDC but your mechanic will rotate them slightly and lock them into place when the chain is refitted.

Thanks chaps! When I asked him he said it was fine but he was busy working on another car so I didn't hang around.

Feel better now for asking and how will the cams be rotated? Is that by turning engine on the crank pulley or is that adjusted on the cams itself?

Cheers

The crank needs to be at TDC before the cams are clamped down and then they can be turned a small amount individually with a large spanner using the flats on the shafts. A bit of metal or plastic is used to lock them in place while the chain is laid over the sprockets. This avoids the messy business of valves hitting the piston crowns!

The chain replacement guide in the wiki has a lot more information.

Cool, got it.

I now remember him doing that with the cam itself when he did the chain replacement.

Thanks once again