BILLCOR

A well known Red VR Turbo

Compound oh i wish i could afford it have you seen the lotus exige that has better power to weight than a bugatti veyron mine wasn't very laggy as it was a hybrid t3 which spooled up pretty quick no where near as slow as a t4. That is an impressive back garage were you running standard power in the mk2 R32? and when you sat vr6 turbo corrado? golf? any pic's or link's ;)

r32bay.jpg

The Rallye engine bay

---------- Post added at 9:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:46 PM ----------

Forgot I had this for a while !

9967-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:47 PM ----------

A pair of turbo mk1 golfs one 350 bhp 20 valve one 300 bhp 16 valve

VECOVA895001.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:48 PM ----------

P1011169.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 9:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:51 PM ----------

What you call a mint trim

P1011178.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:52 PM ----------

bluemk1002-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:53 PM ----------

Supercharged 20 valve

underbonnetverve.jpg

Thought it looked familiar with SLR bit's? What happened to the mark 1's? That Rallye has got to be one of the best looking car's i have seen EVER make's mine look nothing :salute::salute::salute::salute: you certainly are a dark horse Mr Arrow.

Thought it looked familiar with SLR bit's? What happened to the mark 1's? That Rallye has got to be one of the best looking car's i have seen EVER make's mine look nothing :salute::salute::salute::salute: you certainly are a dark horse Mr Arrow.

To be honest the Porsche Arena Red Rallye was an amazing looking car - RHD and VR6 with Ferrari Beige genuine Connelly hides fitted by the head trimmer at Bentley .

Blue Mk1 is down in Kent and owned by a good friend and the silver one did a bit at the Ring then got sold on - It was a very very quick car .

To be honest the Porsche Arena Red Rallye was an amazing looking car - RHD and VR6 with Ferrari Beige genuine Connelly hides fitted by the head trimmer at Bentley .

Blue Mk1 is down in Kent and owned by a good friend and the silver one did a bit at the Ring then got sold on - It was a very very quick car .

Would have loved to have done a deal with either of the mk1's to be honest if your friend ever get's the itch i am so interested. I have toyed with the idea of getting mine done in bridge of weir but it would just be money down the drain in a mark1 no brainer.

Some lovely cars there red arrow.

Just a few pics I had to hand of some of the cars I have had the pleasure of owning

Thanks very much for the kind comment

Lovely photos of that Rallye. I remember seeing it yers ago at Edition 38 and lusting after it. I tink it was just a V6 in the 'bay at the time, but it was the quaity of the paint and interior that impressed me.

Back to the well-specced VRT vs R32 conversion Corrado discussion, I would have to say that the VRT will run rings around an R32 performance-wise, but I do love the noise of an R32 and would love to put one into my Mk3.

Lovely photos of that Rallye. I remember seeing it yers ago at Edition 38 and lusting after it. I tink it was just a V6 in the 'bay at the time, but it was the quaity of the paint and interior that impressed me.

Back to the well-specced VRT vs R32 conversion Corrado discussion, I would have to say that the VRT will run rings around an R32 performance-wise, but I do love the noise of an R32 and would love to put one into my Mk3.

So you believe a vrt will run ring's round an r32 well assuming both have roughly the same power i think you may be surprised mate have you ever came across an R32 powered corrado in your vr6t? If the answer is no how can you compare? If you haven't driven or been passenger in an R32 powered corrado you don't know when you do then you can make a more objective appraisal

They wont have the same power. A mild VRT will have 350bhp and similar torque, an R32 wont be near that. R32 probably suits the chassis better overall but for all out I would say VRT every time. I had a 24v Corrado before this and whilst its not quite the same they were not even remotely in the same league.

They wont have the same power. A mild VRT will have 350bhp and similar torque, an R32 wont be near that. R32 probably suits the chassis better overall but for all out I would say VRT every time. I had a 24v Corrado before this and whilst its not quite the same they were not even remotely in the same league.

Well obviously if the vrt has got 100+bhp more it will get them on an even footing powerwise and it would be a different story.

That the point of fitting a turbo to a VR though, even on very low boost you are still 300bhp+. Thats like saying my RS4 would not run rings round a V6 A4 if it didnt have the turbos fitted.

Yeah a low boost VRT is faster overall but 'Running rings around' is a slight exaggeration imo.

Standard R32s have ~ 240lbft @ 2500rpm and using Stealth's Stage 1 360hp VRT as a comparison, it makes 190lbft at the same rpm and 240lbft is achieved by 3250rpm.

Two corrados, one with a VRT and one with an R32, the R32 is definitely faster from a standstill to 3000+rpm. I already know this from experience, but some hard numbers to back it up doesn't hurt :)

3500rpm onwards is where VRTs have the advantage. And even then, a VRT at this level wouldn't walk past the R32 like it was standing still. I know there are much more powerful VRTs out there but Stealth's represents a well priced, decent, 'safe' power level kit that most folk would go for.

I have raced Heresites in his R32 rado (280hp/260lbft), from a standstill, in my 400hp, 350lbft VRT rado. On paper I should have completely mullered him, but the reality was we were even until I saw 3700ishrpm, and then I started pulling away. And even then, I only kept with him below that rpm because his wasn't mapped to remove the torque delivery issues converted R32s have!

I was quite surprised by that, given my shorter gearing, but it just goes to show that internet top trumps and the real world are very different.

Don't get me wrong. Having built and run both as daily cars for 1000s of miles, I love them both. But the R32 is just way more flexible in day to day driving and you do need a long stretch of road to see the VRT's top end advantage.

Who was it on here who pulled a 13.01 1/4 in their Rado R32? I'm sure Ben Walker on here (can't remember his forum name) managed a 13.5 or something in his 400+ VRT.

Things are never black or white in the modding game ;)

Thank's for adding a bit of clarity Kev all i know is my car has played with some fast car's and there was only one so far that genuinely pulled away easy and that was an M5 and we were well into three figure's at that point.I am going back up to crail i think it is the end of july for a vw day we will see what it can do then. :)

Nice one mate! I know you've had some fast cars in the past, so you know what you're talking about :D

I'll be honest, the R32 engine is a slight dissapointment in the MK4/MK5 but in a lighter car, it bloody shifts!! I think some of it is down to the mapping because both you and I have found it's a better engine when run from a standalone. There isn't the same idling and cold start refinement as stock, but otherwise it drives a lot better imo. All the annoying ME7 flatspots just aren't there.

This has turned into an interesting thread.

In my research on B7 RS4s I've read about an intentional flatspot around 3100rpm that was designed to help pass EU noise legislation- something to do with a test of max decibel level when under full throttle acceleration from ~31mph or something like that.

Is that the cause of the Mk4 flat spot, or is it something else?

Interesting comparison Kev, still think the VRT "once going" would just keep pulling away. I know point to point my VRT is the fastest thing Ive had including the RS4.

Id be interested to see a torque graph from both cars as Im still thinking about doing something with mine and the two clear choices are turbo or R32. Day to day I know R32 will win but this wont be an everyday car.

This has turned into an interesting thread.

In my research on B7 RS4s I've read about an intentional flatspot around 3100rpm that was designed to help pass EU noise legislation- something to do with a test of max decibel level when under full throttle acceleration from ~31mph or something like that.

Is that the cause of the Mk4 flat spot, or is it something else?

You could be right there as MK4s had to have a solenoid controlled exhaust flap to pass the noise regulations. The R32 can be very noisy between 2500-3000rpm.

Interesting comparison Kev, still think the VRT "once going" would just keep pulling away. I know point to point my VRT is the fastest thing Ive had including the RS4.

Id be interested to see a torque graph from both cars as Im still thinking about doing something with mine and the two clear choices are turbo or R32. Day to day I know R32 will win but this wont be an everyday car.

It certainly would but my comparison was against Stealth's stage 1, which is a nice and mild 9psi. A VRT running a bar of boost would indeed shoot off into the distance from 3500ish rpm upwards. I just remember thinking the first time I drove mine with an R32 in it, that it was a faster than I expected it to be!

I was trying to find my old R32 torque graphs but they might be at home. Stealth's torque graphs are in their turbo kit thread on here, but IIRC, if you take a typical VRT torque curve and move it to the left a 1000rpm, that's pretty much an R32 for you :)

Nice one mate! I know you've had some fast cars in the past, so you know what you're talking about :D

I'll be honest, the R32 engine is a slight dissapointment in the MK4/MK5 but in a lighter car, it bloody shifts!! I think some of it is down to the mapping because both you and I have found it's a better engine when run from a standalone. There isn't the same idling and cold start refinement as stock, but otherwise it drives a lot better imo. All the annoying ME7 flatspots just aren't there.

Indeed i have been lucky but in the R32 80 to 100mph is pretty quick acceleration above 100 is crazy and it sound's really gruff and angry i think the dubsport 6 branch help's in that department it is a joy to drive but all that said i know it wouldn't have kept up with my old 330bhp sierra as it was 4wd I would like to have seen the two of them going up the quarter against each other.