renson

Strange Speedometer issue

The past 2 days i have developed a strange Speedo fault, yesterday morning it wasn't working but then i used the car at lunchtime yesterday it was fine.

Had a poke about after work and the gearbox sensor seemed loose so i cleaned and tightened that up, on the way home and for a couple of trips last night it was fine. Then it was playing silly buggers again this morning reading zero then going to 20 after a couple of miles and then seemed to snap into life and work (ish) although slowly changing. It seems like a connection fault somewhere so i will check the connections on the gearbox again and also take the clocks out tonight to check the connection on the back.

My question is where can you buy a speedo sensor for the gearbox? I couldn't see them on AVS. GSF or ECP. Is this a dealer only part?

Thanks,

Darren

Probably dealer only but a cheap enough part - had to replace mines years ago because of the same issue

They usually break / get damaged by garages changing clutches but worth checking wiring and also the earth on the gearbox

Mine started off like this. The speedo would be irratic and sometimes not work at all. This has developed into the whole instrument cluster not working then suddenly after 5 mins of driving itd start working, flashing lights and all - as if the ignition just been turned on. Even the MFA button didnt work. Now its just the fuel/temp guage will stop working whilst driving. V odd.

My point was, this is how mine started, but arent sure if its a knackered instrument cluster or ingition switch or something else.

well its working again now lol. I'm going to check all the connections in a bit and see how it goes for a few days and if its still a problem i'll go to vw then. I have a spare cluster if its a worse case situation. Just god dam annoying!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replys guys :)