seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Cheers Bill, its really testing my patience at the moment though!

You know when you have those days where nothing goes smoothly.................Well I've had three!!!

I started out Friday and refitted the rest of the interior. All went in fine, and ran smoothly until I realised I'd misplaced the upper rear seatbelt securing bolt and associated bits, and frantic searching heralded no results. I've managed to fudge it with a random bolt and some washers for now, but it doesn't swivel, so I don't know if this will be picked up at MOT time. It doesn't seem like it'll be any time soon anyway, as you'll see if you read on.....................

I then started early Saturday morning, and thought I'd begin by changing the rocker cover gasket, as it was leaking oil. I was gonna clean the TB and ISV whilst at it, and do the oil and filter change, and possibly thermostat and coolant flush and change if I had time.

As soon as I popped the bonnet and leaned on the block to take the cover off, the first problem was encountered!

There was faaaarrrr too much movement for it to be right...............

20130420_082544_zpsba377e47.jpg

Notice anything missing!!!??? No wonder my gear changes have felt a bit sloppy and its been difficult engaging gear on a couple of occasions!

Undeterred, I cracked on. Inlet manifold off, Rocker cover off, and second problem encountered!

I'd ordered an early gasket, instead of the later type with the lip. :censored:

This obviously meant it was pointless doing the oil and filter change, and I couldn't be arsed to do the stat change either as I wouldn't be able to run it up and bleed afterwards anyway.

Decided to just clean out TB and ISV, and polish the inlet up a bit whilst I was there.

20130420_091811_zpsac6cd56f.jpg

TB nice and clean!

20130420_102457_zps3bb7ad19.jpg

Little polish...............

20130420_121928_zps21168cd9.jpg

I then called it a day as I had a kids B'day party to take my daughter to.

On to today. I decided to start on the brakes. Car is now fully up on axle stands, and will probably remain like this for a while now! First off was the O/S/R as the handbrake cable needed replacing on this anyway. Got it all stripped down and had the first good look at it.

20130421_141645_zps3dea054e.jpg

20130421_141914_zps9ebcf417.jpg

****ing amateurs! The only thing that went well today was the caliper bolts came off without issue.

Slider pin boots were replaced, and all surfaces were stripped of paint and cleaned including the pad backs.

I then Removed the handbrake cable and sorted the compensating bracket from this.............

ef31e0ce-53d0-489b-b74c-c14deba35e26_zps3830ce9b.jpg

To this.

20130421_150826_zpsfe5a58a6.jpg

20130421_170513_zps53950913.jpg

The trouble then started. The collar from the cable where it enters the pipe that goes into the cabin had corroded in.

20130421_150133_zpsfdc386f2.jpg

Lots of pulling, tugging, and naughty words later, the drill had to come out which as you can imagine, had a flat battery! More bloody waiting about for it to charge, so thought I'd put the caliper back on and mount the cable with the caliper in situ.

I then noticed a nice big bulge in the brake hose near the metal collar. FFS!

Carried on to try and wind the piston back a bit and refit the caliper, but nooooooooooo! Won't wind back will it! Spent a good hour and a half trying, but its a no go.

I have an insert that goes onto a ratchet, but not a proper tool.

I'm now in two minds whether to buy the tool, even though the caliper might be shagged, or just get a set of Mk4 Golf Rears as I'm gonna need to replace the hoses anyway...................

I wrapped for the day again feeling utterly deflated once again, and I just feel like breaking the bloody car for parts!

Just need to keep the receipts well away from the missus as she'd throw a bloody fit by the time its actually road worthy!

I will get there eventually though, and I suppose on the plus side I'm getting pretty intimate with the car now so I'll know it inside out by the time its finished, although this will be quite some time!...........................................

Don't give up matey you are doing well i bought a car which had over 20k spent on it and i came across some amateur bodge's on mine it's just par for the course i'm afraid pal but you are doing well get the mk4 caliper's i have them on mine and can vouch for them and as you say at the end of your post at least you will know everything is spot on something which will make you feel better especially if you have your kid's in the car :thumbleft:

Great progress thread. :thumbleft: Don't let the problems get you down - you've done great so far, stick at it. It's great to see somebody making such an effort, rather than just breaking another one unnecessarily. Don't know if the proper wind back tool will help with the calipers or not - ideally I'd say get a proper wind back tool anyway, but probably replace the calipers anyway. Keep the updates coming.....

Hi Sean,i have a caliper wind back tool you are welcome to borrow,i have a workshop just up the road in Droxford. Daren

Daren that would be very much appreciated! I will buy one at some point, but worth giving it a go with yours before deciding if I need to replace/upgrade them anyway. PM on the way, cheers buddy!

Chin up bud, your doing well and getting lots done. Just don't start too many jobs without finishing them as it will get you down and seem like a mountain to climb. Be like me, put new wishbones on a year ago and have do nothing since! Hats off to you, I havent touched the car since our daughter was born six months ago, my projects have consisted of building nursery furniture and making up milk bottles!

Dougie

Cheers bud, I won't give up don't worry! The missus isn't very happy with me tbf! I've spent too much time on it the last few days apparently! She is right I guess......... Just want to get it ready for MOT as quickly as possible so I can enjoy it! I do have to do chores before I'm aloud out to play though! All has gone well today anyway. A massive thanks to Daren (Harrier) for lending me his wind back tool. Worked a treat! All caliper boots and bolts replaced, and slider pins cleaned and re-greased. Handbrake cable now fitted, adjusted, and holding nicely. Picking up the correct rocker gasket from VW tomorrow so all is ready for the w.end if I have permission! Just need a single rear brake hose, then I have everything to get it through MOT (bar a couple of tyres) hopefully.:dance:

Thanks Fay, it gives me the motivation when everyone offers so much encouragement!

Picked up the rocker gasket today, and hopefully pop in again to pick up the brake hose tomorrow, although its my second wedding anniversary so need to get to the Florist as quickly as possible! (Forgot to get flowers, oops!) Just going out for a nice lunch as its difficult with a two week old!

I've got the day off work Thursday as friends are coming across from Plymouth, and she is getting her hair done in the morning so hopefully I'll have a couple of sneaky hours on it! lol.

More updates to come!

Rocker gasket, stat and housings changed today. I also put some reflective tape on the underside of the inlet manifold and TB. Difference in inlet temps will probably be negligible, but I had the tape and saw the one for sale with it done, so thought why not!

Didn't get many photos today, completely forgot tbh. Sorry!

Think the old stat had seen better days.................................................

20130425_135939_zps762164d7.jpg

20130425_135921_zpsbbd4e5eb.jpg

All water pipes/ways flushed with fresh until they ran clear, stat replaced, Reservoir scrubbed with the babies bottle brush.................................Its ok, we have another! Refilled, run up and bled, and jobs a good un!

I didn't bother with the oil and filter change today though. There is a lot of seepage from a lot of areas around the block. Now the rocker gasket is changed (which was definitely leaking), I'll clean and degrease the whole bay and underbody and see where it is. Looks to be leaking from the oil cooler, sump, possibly crank seal, and there is oil on the pas rack too which I'm hoping is just where its flicked back when in motion. Will see anyway. Always one step forward two steps back!

Removing the HIDS this w.end, and replacing the duff brake hose on Mond. Hopefully its just a case of awaiting gearbox mounting bolt from twin45 and it should be ready for a couple of tyres and an MOT.

Here's hoping!

A small amount more done. Took the number plate light surround off as I need to replace one of the lamps, and was greeted with this!

20130426_133703_zpsa95b7da3.jpg

One of the screws just spins and doesn't bite now, so thats a job for sometime pretty soon!

Treated the area with kurust, and went round the arches that have a small bit starting to come through as well. N/S front wing has a bit that needs sorting as well, but luckily its all still solid around there so a rub back and a lick of paint will sort that.

I also took the HID kit out today in order to continue with MOT failure points, and found another that I would have missed!

The adjuster on the headlight leveller has broken down, but luckily I've managed to sort it with a bit of epoxy resin.

Since the headlights are out, I decided it would be rude not split them, clean them, and Joey mod them!

I've masked the reflectors off for now, and just waiting for the epoxy to fully harden before I paint them tomorrow as well.

I really like the Joey look. On the later models with the raised bonnet, I think it makes the front end seem very narrow. I prefer the look of the earlier models if I'm honest, and think the seven slat grille is much better as well.

By joey'ing the lights though, I think it adds something to the front end.

Will get some pics up once its all done. :smug:

Before.

20130330_142445_zpsd66f4302.jpg

After

20130427_143946_zps5fc8b2b5.jpg

As said in last post, took these out

20130426_150736_zps2667ca85.jpg

And replaced with H4 Halfords Ultrabrights.

Gonna raise it 20mm or so either today or tomorrow, then taking it back into work to change the brake hose on Monday.

Wheel is off atm as I'm soaking it to death in PlusGas. Hopefully it'll come off rather than snap off, although knowing my luck with everything on this car so far, it'll be an absolute ballache!

Just a couple of tyres (or a new set of wheels with tyres!?), and an underbody and engine bay jetwash/steam clean to remove the old oil stains etc, then hopefully I've done all I can to get it through MOT - which incidentally expires on Tuesday.

I forgot to mention before as well, when I sorted all the dash and ignition wiring, I've sorted the anomaly where the car continued to run when the ignition was switched off, and the lights were left on. :smug:

Getting there! :dance:

Just like my old one Sean, Keep up the good work the car looks beautiful. ..... just like my old one sob.... You're right about the t-stat tho, seen better days!

I don't know if its just VAG, but the last four VAG cars I've had (Mk3 Golf, Corrado Valver, Missus's Fabia, and this) have all required stat changes within 6 months of ownership!

Hey Sean, keep up the good work man.

If it makes you feel any better, I paid more than double what you did for mine (stupid heart decision) and still ended up doing a lot of the jobs you have. Lots of bodges done by past owners :(

I'm nearly finished after about 70 hours work and £1000 spent, feeling good!

Raised the coilies 20mm all round today. Sitting much better, and I'm not quiiiiiiite so worried about speed bumps now, but think I'll bring it up another 10mm or so another time. Took it out for a spin to test, GOD I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!

I really think it need the wheel alignment done though, the amount of torque steer was unreal!

Last day of fun tomorrow before its off the road for a few weeks I think. :(

See matey all the hassle is worth it keep going tho feel i don't have to try and encourage you as it has got you the corrado has bitten another victim :lol:

---------- Post added at 4:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:46 PM ----------

Hey Sean, keep up the good work man.

If it makes you feel any better, I paid more than double what you did for mine (stupid heart decision) and still ended up doing a lot of the jobs you have. Lots of bodges done by past owners :(

I'm nearly finished after about 70 hours work and £1000 spent, feeling good!

:salute: we need more like you mate just one thing get some pic's and post them up otherwise :awesome:

I know mate, I don't know how you handle an R32 tbh, heavy acceleration scares the **** out of me in this!

Puts a huge grin on my face though, I just don't think the car is made for serious power tbh, F/I would be ridiculous!

I suppose the R32 just has the low down power as well so is probably manageable though. I'll have to catch up with you at one of the coming meets toward the end of the season if we're both attending, and have a ride! :p

Brake hose replaced and system bled this afternoon. All went really smoothly which I was shocked at, but happy about. All nuts came away nice and easy after a couple of days of constant soaking in PlusGas.

20130429_131210_zpsb997ae97.jpg

20130429_131227_zps08b02b15.jpg

20130429_131427_zps4a7f6864.jpg

20130429_132359_zps3e0a8897.jpg

Old duff hose. You can see the bulge to the left, just before the metal collar.

20130429_132421_zpsd4525e8a.jpg

GB mounting bolt, wheel bolts, and rear seatbelt securing bolt came in the post from twin45 today, so I'll get them fitted tomorrow along with a good clean and degrease of the engine bay. Gonna scrub the underbody and check all brake and fuel lines for signs of corrosion this week too, then its MOT time by next week hopefully. Just tyres then, but I really want those 928's in the sale section! Problem is that I need to keep some funds behind the next two months due to the amount of Birthdays and Weddings we've got coming up all over the country!

Pity you couldn't make it to stanford matey as you are someone i would like to have a chat with (valeting/detailing)

Yeah I know mate, its come too soon though unfortunately. Hoping to make it to national day though if you going?

If you have a few questions fire away, but honestly I'm no expert! I've detailed a few of my own, and a few friends and colleagues cars but thats it tbh. All information I've gained has come from trawling detailing world. I did get quite into it last summer though, and did others cars for not much more than cost, but it helped build up my confidence with the machine, as well as build up my product range and knowledge of what works best with what paint types.

I'll try and answer your questions as best as possible though mate!

In other news, I fitted the missing wheel bolts and GB mounting bolt, and degreased and pressure washed the engine bay. Looks much tidier in the depths now, and all bar one of the oil leaks is fixed. Unfortunately, the last one is the biggest ******* of all! Crank seal :mad2: Its pretty small at the moment, so I'll deal with that at a later time.

Gonna get the car up on axle stands tomorrow to scrub and pressure wash the underside, then get it up on the four post to give the brake lines a little go over with a wire brush, and give it all a final inspection.

i really wanted a storm too when i was looking for a new corrado. good luck with yours mate. good work so far!

Wow, great work you've been doing there Sean! All the effort pays off! Some bodges you find are incredible. When I got my polo the window runners were held on by bluetac! :lol:

Anyway looking forward to seeing more pictures and progress, hopefully can be all mot'ed and on the road properly soon! :thumbleft:

Edited by daveb142

Cheers fellas, its gonna be a long old slog until I'm happy with it, I'm just trying to make it look presentable this year as atm, I'd be embarressed to be seen in it amongst other enthusiasts! Just won a set of speedlines with good tyres for 94 quid to my door! Cost less than even a set of part worns, and gives me the chance to refirb the solitudes that I actually quite like. I'll get them fitted as soon as they arrive, then get it booked in for MOT. Glad most/all of the safety remedial work is now done, as I start course a week monday so work on the car is gonna slow down drastically.

Went to visit family in Bristol at the weekend so nothing done. Don't have a great deal to do for now apart from little bits, as I want it on the road for a bit before tackling the larger non-safety remedial work. Did a compression test and just cleaed the bay up quickly. I'll re-visit it at a later date and start stripping a few things temporarily to get to chassis legs and strut towers etc, to do it properly.

This is the only before I have.

20130323_145445_zps912b566b.jpg

And after.

20130507_151522_zpsa7166634.jpg

Here are the results of the compression test. Bearing in mind I took all the plugs out before remembering I should have got it up to temp first. :bonk: I couldn't be bothered to put them all back in and get up to temp, its an absolute nightmare removing the leads even with the tool, and I was just after a rough estimate to ensure all was relatively well within the block for emission purposes.

This was with all plugs removed, WOT, with fuel pump relay removed. Cranked over 6-8 times on each cylinder.

e9940f5b-0ed7-4781-9068-27e930d8132b_zps31611662.jpg

All within tolerance, although I'm a little worried about cylinder 5. Will have to re-visit this at a later time too.

Just trying to think up jobs until funds permit something larger and more worthwhile now!