Alan h

PVC pipes replace with catch can ?

As anyone done this I am going to be looking at a raddo vr but the owner told me ppe work was no good so he replaced it with a catch can anybody done this are they any good or would you put pipe work back in any advice would be appreciated

Little bit overkill for a standard VR, not going to do any damage at all its just an expensive way of replacing the pcv valve. They are more used for high power cars, someone might want to swap if it was a concern

I have a catch can.

I don't like dirty oil vapours going into my engine, clogging the throttle body etc. Plus oil vapours can't be any good for combustion. Stupid stupid idea.

Can't really see from that pic. as can only see top, but have you only got one pipe leading to the oil catch can and ending there, does'nt it build up pressure, or you got it vented via a filter, pop off valve of something and not connected to the intake system.

Mines same place as yours but in a loop, goes from crank case breather outlet to catch can, catches oil, liquids etc. and then pipe on other side of catch can (on top so liquids left behind) goes back to intake system, replacing PCV basically in a big loop.

Thinking yours might be better system if works, if does'nt effect various sensors etc.

83CF2411-D095-46BE-9A8A-03A3B1A9D8ED-16595-0000081ED2359E52.jpg

So one pipe from the camcase breather, to the catch can, then another pipe from the catch can which goes under the car and has a mini filter on the end.

I blocked off the inlet on the throttle intake pipework (what the PCV notmally goes to) and also the mini breather pipe from the PCV to throttle to charcoal so effectively its now a pipe from the charcoal to the throttle body.

I can't see it effecting anything as the PCV is vacuum controlled I believe? No electrical sensors involved anyway.

Edited by P3rks

Yeah I could easily change mine to that, I already took the PCV out anyway, having a big loop with catch can just gives more opportunity for an vacuum leak. Runs well like that? Just one of those mini filters you can pick up on Ebay, or Halfords was it?

How long does your catch can take to fill up by way, or fill halfway up say?

Think I'll try it.

It's a mini K&N filter, but yeah, any cheapo mini filter will work, to be fair, you don't really need one.

Mine runs well, no adverse effects. The inlet side if things are much cleaner.

My catch tanks pretty large, its a 42 Draft Stealth Can so about 750ml max.

I had it on about 6 months and it hardly had anything in, maybe 100ml?