edd

Rotten Battery Tray Advice purrrlease

Blast.draft.b0ll0ks. So despite the car having virtually no rust anywhere else I discovered a horribly rotten battery tray this weekend. Was a complete tray before i put the screwdriver through it but within minutes id pulled it back to the solid stuff which left me with this...

Having looked on ETKA it looks as though the battery tray is a welded in section thta would just about remove the whole of the rotten area but i cant be sure if the inner wing is affected to. looking at the join line i think not, can anyone advise...

Is the battery tray still available i have looked on VW Heritage and vw classic parts De and i cannot find it? otherwise is it a case of finding someone murdering their own Corrado and cutting the necessary body parts out?

part 14 on the exploded diagram i think

Edd

Doubtful the tray is still available but costs nothing to find out. Best bet is to get it off a breaker... OR jsut get someone to fabricate a piece and get it welded in. Just make sure to remove any rust to prevent it returning.

Hello ladies and gents,

I wounder if you could please advise me if I'm correct or not.

This battery tray issue for the Corrado am I correct in saying that it's the same or very similar to that of a MK2 Golf,

as the Golf panel can be purchased for £26.50

Many thanks.

Si

Hi mate just done mine last week battery tray is available on classic parts about 90 quid plus postage. Put a wanted add up mate some 1mightbe braking one

my advice is remove the front end {not even a 30min job} and cut the rott back sqaure in a nice rectangle shape with a cutting disc on a dremel, and cut a peice out from an old door or bonnet to put in its place maybe try and shape it if it needs it , weld it up and wax oil the crap out of the back side of it, you could buy a cheap welder , before you say

" i cant weld" if you can draw then you can weld ,its just like dot to dot or if you want to spend the extra money and time on finding a genuine tray then go ahead but if it was me i idd rather splash out the funds on something that will get noticed/make a difference..

Interesting thanks chaps, just how close is the mk2 one to the Corrado?, mine has rotten to the right hand edge wall of the tray looking from the front of the car so ideally I want the whole tray panel as if would come if it were a Corrado replacement (if you get my drift, the vertical edge of the tray provides the welding point to the inner wing I think)

the reason idd use wax oil under the tray is becuase you can spray it with a long flexy hose and it penetrates into all the nooks and crannys that you cant actualy get to, it will also neutralise current rust , from what iv read about por 15 its good to use on metal thats been cleaned up from rust and forms a very hard durable coating so its perfect for painting the top of the battery tray but if you still have rust and moisture under the por15 then its still going to carry on rusting under it, i guess everything has its pros and cons,

Cheers guys for all the info :thumbleft:

I've just purchased a welder so will be replacing the battery tray at the weekend.

Plus will fabricate up a new replacement air intake duct as mine has rusted out,

this is the air duct scoop under the radiator that draws air in to it.

Cheers,

Si :thumbleft:

Vw rule did you buy a mk2 golf one? Can you update this thread after you have done it please? Would be very useful for all I am sure. Cheers. Edd

Hello Edd,

the MK2 Golf battery tray fits to the Corrado as the front chassis legs and inner wings around the struts,

are very similar to the Golf and Jetta of 1988 to 1992

You just need to make a tinny adjustment to the front of the new tray where it fits against the front panel below the N/S/F head lamp.

Hope this helps.

Si

my advice is remove the front end {not even a 30min job} and cut the rott back sqaure in a nice rectangle shape with a cutting disc on a dremel, and cut a peice out from an old door or bonnet to put in its place maybe try and shape it if it needs it , weld it up and wax oil the crap out of the back side of it, you could buy a cheap welder , before you say

" i cant weld" if you can draw then you can weld ,its just like dot to dot or if you want to spend the extra money and time on finding a genuine tray then go ahead but if it was me i idd rather splash out the funds on something that will get noticed/make a difference..

Agreed. Use it as opportunity to improve! Why not put a MK4 Golf steel section in and then you can bolt the lovely plastic battery carrier to it and use the equally lovely cover and power distribution panel etc etc.... I believe it's been done to MK2s a few times. It's so much neater and stops water being trapped under the battery and rotting the panel away.

!BkhN2p!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-C!EjlLl1f5kBL(3MtmP9g~~_1_22467_1.JPG

360750724.jpg

Apologies how did i miss your replies before i bumped this many thanks Kev and Si.

Just in case anyone needs a new battery tray panel,

they are now back in stock with VW Heritage.

Part number is ( 191803105 )

Price is £22.60

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Inner-wing-battery-tray-Golf-Mk2-left-191803105_act_shop.product_pID_47419415_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

And I think so is the O/S/F inner wing panel,

this is similar to the battery tray side,

but fits to the drivers side.

Part number is ( 191803106 )

Price is £12.70

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Inner-front-wing-repair-Golf-Mk2-Right-191803106_act_shop.product_pID_47419644_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

Hope this helps

Hello mate,

yes it will fit the Corrado.

I've had my new panel for a few months,

just haven't had the time to weld it in yet.

Rotten battery tray

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75698[/ATTACH]

New panel in it's rough place

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75701[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps

Some more photo's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75702[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75703[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75704[/ATTACH]

These above I've just found on line.

Again hope this helps.

Si