G60rob

Tie rod length - Bentley wrong?

Can anyone explain the reason why the Bentley manual is so insistent the left tie rod should be set to an exact length, to within 1mm:

check/adjust length of left tie rod

vehicles with G60 engine and 185/60 or 195/60 tires:

a = 379.5 ±1 mm (14.94 ±0.039 in.)

I've pointed this out to several garages when having the tracking checked and they all dismiss it as nonsense. The latest one told me it's wrong because of new laser technology. Something to do with having to track the rear wheels first and bring the fronts into alignment with the rear. Sounds knowledgeable but is it true?

One time after fitting a new steering lock I didn't get the steering wheel back on the splines quite straight but as I was taking it for tracking anyway I thought I'd likely have to realign it again anyway, so just left it as it was to drive to the garage. What I hadn't thought of was that the first thing they do is clamp the steering wheel in what looks like the straight ahead position, but of course when they went to look at the front wheels they were so far off straight that they concluded the car had been in a serious accident and there was no way the tracking could be adjusted! Nothing I could say would convince them otherwise so I had to go home, put the steering wheel on as straight as I could and take it somewhere else where of course they had no trouble tracking it, although they did adjust both tie rods. That seems to be how all other cars are done, so why does the Corrado have to be different?

I assume it's not that important since apparently nobody does it the "correct" way, but I'm intrigued why Bentley is so precise. Am I the only one?

Might be somthing to do with the manual set for left hand drive cars. But thats just a stab in the dark.