bully

power steering making a whining sound... is is just fluid or somthing more serious?

power steering making a whining sound... is is just fluid or something more serious?

Try filling it to the maximum leaving the cap off and turnoing lock to lock to work the fluid through maybe there is a airlock somewhere

cheers guys.. any idea if a specific brand or type of fluid is required or will any generic power steering fluid work?

Green power steering fluid fella .. Vw,s own .. Or Febi if your not local to a dealer .. GSF..

All the best Bones

The pump whines. Especially at full lock. The one on my '94 Passat has done so for the past 10 years at least, but it still works perfectly and doesn't leak.

As above, do NOT use Automatic Transmission Fluid, only VW specified.

Best wishes

RB

ok i was in a shock as the when i checked the fluid level is was way below minimum so bought some gree power steering fluid from halfords... and its still making the whining noise its never done this before was always silent... worried ive screwed it up by not using vw fluid.. will this matter?

As mentioned before, you should jack up the front, remove the cap and turn lock to lock several times to try and get some air out. I must admit, i have used the Halfords stuff in my old 16v as I was miles from the stealers and it seemed ok.

If it's really loud, then your pump may be fubar'd (I went through a couple on my valver) or maybe adjust the belt tightness.

unless you ran the pump dry,you cant really damage a pump,unless the belt was far too tight

didnt jack the car up.. but tried wot u said with the full lock with the cap off but didnt work...

it works fine just ive seen this noise i other car and it slowly gets worse until the steering locks up...

green LHM type hydraulic fluid is fine, I've been running a recon pump for 15 years and never filled with genuine fluid and it and the rack are fine.

the 'whining' noise may be due to a problem on the pressure side of the pump, either the valve inside the pump body is stuck or the valving in the rack is leaking

I've solved this noise by draining the fluid, removing the pressure side hose (the union one, the one with the jubilee clip is the non-pressure side - supply) from the pump and unscrewing and withdrawing the pressure valve/spring from the pump body, in bad cases the drilling in the pump body becomes scored and prevents the valve operating correctly, although sometimes no wear is evident and the valve itself is at fault.

Sometimes a few flushes through with fresh fluid will improve it, saw a very bad mk1 cabrio once where we cured it by cleaning out the pressure valve, wet and dry sanding the pump drilling and flushing through several times the whole system, it should really have had a new pump but it fixed it!

more reasons why i love this page... :)

great advice always! ill giv this a try on the weekend !!!

woke up a very happy mantoday and my power steering issue has fixed itself lol must just of been low fluid :bonk: