robrado974

Vw trade mark , can i get done for using it ?

Hi all , for a while i have been thinking of getting some novelty items made .When you look at stuff on ebay you get aircooled stuff coming out of your ears ,but not alot of watercooled stuff .Its the same at the few shows ive been to. I wanted to get some corrado , golf ,etc items made ,but was worried about getting a law suit ! . I have an idea in my head and obviously it would involve using the badge and the car . Its only at the drawing stage atm , working on ideas .Anyone know where i stand on this ? , do all the people on fleabay and the like have to get permission ?

Kind regards

Rob .

Think you could get into trouble. I remember when DG Autotech started up, VW 'asked' them to remove the VW logo from their banner.

Thats correct vw get really funny about this, i have a couple of friends who have garages and they had there signage with the emblems in them.

Letters followed from vw telling them to remove or else!!

Yes if you persist with using it.

You'll need to speak with their licensing/legal team. Be prepared to hand over samples and also you may only be able to source from their approved factories. They inturn will have minimum orders, but you'll probably have to pay for the samples as well.

VW will then want a percentage. This in its self may wipe out any profit one you've factored in shipping and (seeing as you're talking kosher) the VAT man.

6 months later you may have a product to take to market.

Certainly don't want to sound like a doom monger but working in retail buying taught me a thing or two about this kind of thing.

Most brands have teams of people on the look out for this kind of stuff.

Though to be fair, ebay is awash with fakes. And by the time they catch you, you could have made a couple of pounds. But is it really worth being hunted down by their legal team for a couple of pounds ???