fonzooorooo

The life of cats.

Our recently purchased 1994 2L 8V has been de-catted. As I understand things, last year that was an MOT advisory, and this year it'll be a fail. ... So I'll be in the market for a new cat.

My Dad (an avid reader of Honest John's column in the Telegraaarrfff) has flagged up that a lot of cheap aftermarket cats are exhibiting VERY poor life expectancy (barely a year in some cases!)

So... What have you got fitted?

How long has it lasted?

Who supplied?

I obviously don't want to fork out for a cheapie cat that'll die before it's next MOT, and can't help but anticipate big bucks for a dealer item!

ouch! I would have a look for a breaker mate & try to get a 2nd hand genuine one. mine is 18 years old & is bang on :)

And................ I was expecting athread of the Furry Animals, possibly showing their Nine Lives !! Oh well !!! :D

Just for you Wendy.One of my cats pretending to have used up all its lives.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73736[/ATTACH]

Find a friendlier MOT garage? Mine digs Stevie Wonder up every year to look at my exhaust... :lol:

Wullie: Nice!

I have considered just leaving it, seeing what my MOT guy says, (plead ignorance if he flags it up!) and if i need one, it looks like there're a couple on ebay with 2 year warranties...

I use the same MOT place every time, for all the cars, he's (relatively) cheap, and seems totally fair... It's one of those things where I WANT an honest test - I want everything "right" and as a DIY spanner-er, it's easy to miss stuff that he'll spot easily on the ramp!

So, I got hold of a 2nd hand (original) cat off a mate breaking a B3 passat.

'rado went for MOT yesterday - emissions of 1.6%.

Dammit!!!!

I'll whack it on the CO meter and see if I can get it down on the mixture (de-cat guy could've cranked the fuel up)

Does anyone know the ideal CO% for these? (I know the MOT limit's 0.2%) ... Just handy to have a number to work to!

At least the other 2 fail points weren't too bad - (1) wipers not clearing the screen (screen's warped - wipers are new - going to try old fashioned wipers and stronger springs in the wiper arm(!) and (2) Number plates too small - lettering and spacing correct, but 2 digit reg, so someone put shortened plates on.

And................ I was expecting athread of the Furry Animals, possibly showing their Nine Lives !! Oh well !!! :D

Saw part of a documentary this week and thought the same as you, Wendy! Miaoww!

I've a new cat on my 8v that was 45 quid! Trade price from ecp iirc, clearly smaller and cheaply made compared to a vw original but it's done two years mot with spot on emissions.

Sorted.

As I hoped, whoever de-catted had adjusted the air flow sensor. Gave it a tweek back 3 notches to give a pre-cat CO of about 1%

back for the re-test and got:

CO limit: 0.2% 'rado: 0.02%

HC: limit: 200 'rado: 16

Lambda needs to be between 0.97 and 1.03... 'rado is 1.022

So that's a pass. Job done!

Cheers for the input!