Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Misfiring at low RPM when excelerating

Hi

I've recently purchased a 94 Corrado VR6, black with black leather and only 60k miles. It seems to be misfiring/judering between 1000-2000 rpm when excelerating (hard exceleration or normal) and is fine through the rest of the rev range? It has had the 60k service so don't imagine its the plugs or wires (although replaced number 5 ht lead as was told to when bought it) The revs don't fly up so it's not the clutch, the idle is usually okay but sometimes a bit rough. Otherwise this car is beautiful! I have FK coilovers and 17" BBS RS's split Rims which will be on soon! Any help with the above would be fantastic.

thanks Ben..., coil pack hey? they are about £200 odd from the dealer- wouldn't have thought it would go at this mileage and cheaper solutions to try first? I have seen links on fixing up the coil packs (drying them out and using epoxy resin) the car is worse when raining?

thanks Ben..., coil pack hey? they are about £200 odd from the dealer- wouldn't have thought it would go at this mileage and cheaper solutions to try first? I have seen links on fixing up the coil packs (drying them out and using epoxy resin) the car is worse when raining?

another way to check is get a garden type spryer-thingymajig......and spray this around the coil-pack with the engine running(preferably in a dark area)just a fine mist should be enuff to show it up :wink: ........any sparks or arc-ing will confirm that the coil-pack is kaput.........as for miles........i think its more to do with age and the fact its in a fairly hostile enviroment so goes brittle with age etc

okay thanks for the help, will try that idea, if so will have to either fix or buy a new coil pack- where is best to purchase one from? best quality part and best price?

It might be the coilpack. Don't count on it tho.

I had this very discussion with Vince last night. Seems a lot of VRs do exactly that, mine included.

Try a Beru pack from G&S first, if it makes no difference take it back and it ain't your pack that's the problem.

Let us know how you get on....

Hi, thats a good idea actually, could try and borrow one off a mate or get a VW one and take it back if doesn't fix it, I've read some reviews about how rubbish the Beru ones are on the PocketRocket site and others

Well VW sell Temic or Beru ones, either way it's £200+VAT. Temic are reputedley the best, but equally I've known peeps to get on fine with the Beru too. G&S price is about £120 I think but they're OK with taking things back, VW aren't if it was ordered in especially, you're stuffed.

I hope it is the pack cause it'll cure mine but I've got a very recent Temic on there and it still does it :cry:

Vince didn't have any ideas either, so treble :cry: :cry: :cry:

K

yeah thats true with vw, needed a new sunroof motor but wasn't sure and VW said they wouldn't take it back so got one cheap on E-bay, still waiting though.... G&S price seems reasonable, will get a full set of HT leads (£ 50 from Europarts) also as have 5 black ones and a red one... new plugs cost nothing so might as well try the whole lot. The problem with the judering/misfiring isn't all the time? will try the spray idea, then the epoxy resin for any cracks, then i'm buying the lot!

yeah thats true with vw, needed a new sunroof motor but wasn't sure and VW said they wouldn't take it back so got one cheap on E-bay, still waiting though.... G&S price seems reasonable, will get a full set of HT leads (£ 50 from Europarts) also as have 5 black ones and a red one... new plugs cost nothing so might as well try the whole lot. The problem with the judering/misfiring isn't all the time? will try the spray idea, then the epoxy resin for any cracks, then i'm buying the lot!

the leads from gsf are utter crock.... dont waste your time with them.

Yeah agreed with Scott. The GSF ones made by BBT are uttter pap.

I recommend the original Beru red ones or Blue Igniters. Nothing else comes close. Not even Magnecor as I've recently discovered.

Blue igniters are about £60 and the red berus, if you can get them, are approx £12 - £15 each.....

K

Excellent thanks very much, as I mentioned earlier i have one red one... cylinder 5 was about £16. I purchased it from Volkswagen in Guildford, quite expensive for the full set, which they didn't have so just opted for the faulty one. Do you know anywhere else that might sell the red Beru ones?

When did you get your number 5? Was it definitely a red Beru? I keep hearing conflicting advice that the dealers don't sell the red berus anymore and give you some naff old Quantum ones instead?

AFAIK, G&S can also get hold of the red berus tho. Haven't tried that route yet......

100% sure its the Red Beru one, has the cylinder number written on, cost £16.20 (bloody hell, rubber and a bit of metal) also receipt said it was beru cylinder 5, can't remember if it said so on the cable i'm afraid but can check, they can order the full set in but only had 4 of them when i was there. (sunroof motor was a comedy £218 so went elsewhere) good old vw prices

Check for arcing around the plugs to the block. When my original HT leads packed up, i could hear it sparking away on one lead. I changed that one, but it still ran shite stuttering away. I was desperate so ended up buying a set from GSF (yes the BBT ones) and the car has run perfectly ever since.

They do their job, but i know what you mean about being shit quality-wise, as when i was pushing them into the little ht lead guide runners it split the rubber on one lead ever so slightly.

Wish I had known where to buy good ones from at the time though. (still have no idea to be honest!)

okay guys, finally fixed the problem... I purchased new red beru leads from Colbournes VW in Guildford (£120) and new spark plugs (didn't really need to) took the coil pack off, cleaned it up and sealed with silicon sealer but there were no cracks. The car is now running beautifully!!! :D

I will post them up when i get home, the spark plugs are the standard ones VW, audi, seat etc use. The HT leads are the Red beru ones, I originally called up Beru who said they only sell the black ones now but are just a difference in the colour of the rubber? They were offering them for £60, couldn't wait two weeks though so went to Colbournes who said they have only sold the red Beru leads

Nice one, cheers mate.

The leads are sold individually IIRC, so I need all 6 part numbers I'm afraid :oops:

K

Hi, sorry for the delay, been very busy

Colbornes Volkswagen, Slyfield Guildford, 01483 573801, GU1 1SD

Part Numbers

N907680(01), 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06

Price ranging from £14.98 - £17.12 depending on the discounts achieved (corrado club or trader?)

sparkplugs were £45 for 6, part number 101000035AH

now all works!!! nice and red as you can see on the picture